Thread: I need brakes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

I need brakes!

I'm a 6'9" 300lb SUPERCLYDE! I have a 24" Giant Yukon hardtail. I currently have Avid brakes with 6 inch rotors that are mechanical. I'm killing my brakes all the time. I'm stretching the line after any long XC or DH. I want 8" rotors and probably Hydro. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I dont wanna pay a fortune. I'm a relative beginner about to step it up a notch. Any help is appreciated.

...idios...
    I don't know of any brake, for the money, which gets as much positive feedback as the Shimano XT.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

ups and downs
    You may need to upgrade the fork to one rated for 203mm rotors as many XC forks max out at 185mm rotors. Double check what max rotor size the fork is rated for by the manufacturer.

You may find that the new organic pads with the Avid BB-7's and 203mm rotors enough of an improvement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have upgraded my fork to a FOX Vanilla 2008 but I'm unsure if it's compatible to a 203mm rotor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Not so Rocky....

most modern XC forks are rated up to 203mm rotors. Even the lowly Rock Shox Dart 1 that is stock on the Yukon! Most modern 32mm + stanchioned forks are rated to 210mm! Fork manufacturers have started to realize that folks that are heavier than the mythical 150 to 170 ideal do ride bikes!

Anyway, to the OP. I'd deffinately check out what the manufacturer has to say about the max rotor diameter recommendation for your fork. If it's doable, I think you'd find that going to a 203mm rotor in the front and a 185mm rotor in the rear would solve your braking problems without having to resort to a complete set of new brakes. I weigh 230lbs without gear and ride an 05 Stumpjumper with avid mechanicals. 185mm rotor front and 160mm rear and the brakes have plenty of power.

Getting the parts you'd need to convert to larger rotors would run you about $115 at full retail, that's two new rotors, plus the front and rear adpaters to accomodate the larger rotor sizes. That's pretty much less than a single good hydrolic brake (front or rear) would cost you!

I'd give the larger rotor combo a try first.

Update: All 2008 Fox Forks are rated to at least a 203mm rotor. You should be good to go.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    most modern XC forks are rated up to 203mm rotors. Even the lowly Rock Shox Dart 1 that is stock on the Yukon! Most modern 32mm + stanchioned forks are rated to 210mm!
    Many forks but not all, it still pays to check. My 2007 Marz Corsa with 32mm stanchions is rated for 160mm rotor max, my 2008 Marz XC700 with 32mm stanchions is rated for 185mm max.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant24Yukon
    I have upgraded my fork to a FOX Vanilla 2008 but I'm unsure if it's compatible to a 203mm rotor.
    you have a green light, then!

you don't need a 203 rotor in the rear BTW.... usually 160 is enough to lock it, since you are a big guy then maybe go for 180-185mm to avoid overheating it, but 203mm for the rear is usually not very necessary (totally agree on the front though )

Urban Ninja

I'll sell you my 08 XT's

There the new one's with the servo wave feature. The're supposed to have 40% more braking power so they might work well for you. I bought these for my Super D race bike then I got a Sram sponsorship so I'm gonna use the Juicy Ultimates now. I've got 4 rides on em.

$300 including rotors and hardware. I'll even pay the shipping for that price as long as you are in the continental US. The rotors I have are 185mm front and 160mm rear.

Do the sale through paypal?

Interested? PM me.

Justin

wyrd bi ful rd
    XTs are pretty solid ... using the older 2004 XTs on my rigid hardtail 180 front 160 rear and the 2008 XTs on my FS 203mm front and 183mm rear ... no complaints ... easy to install and adjust.

willtsmith_nwi
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant24Yukon
    I'm a 6'9" 300lb SUPERCLYDE! I have a 24" Giant Yukon hardtail. I currently have Avid brakes with 6 inch rotors that are mechanical. I'm killing my brakes all the time. I'm stretching the line after any long XC or DH. I want 8" rotors and probably Hydro. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I dont wanna pay a fortune. I'm a relative beginner about to step it up a notch. Any help is appreciated.
    If you're still using the stock MX-2 brakes that come on the bike you might want to upgrade. BB-7s are good enough and even a 6'9" guy can't stretch that cable indefinitely. If you're having this problem, the cable may be slipping where it mounts to the caliper.

But be aware that 203mm (8") are only supposed to go with forks that are rated for it. Try a 7" on the front. On the rear, 160mm (6") will be more than good enough for XC riding.