mtbr member
    Sep 2007

I need to add fluid to my brake. Do I use the same procedure as if I were bleeding

them? I am new to working on hydraulic discs so bare with me. I was trying to remove some sand from my brake caliper by removing the pads and pumping the brake in order to push the piston out and then clean the sand out. Last night though, I pumped the brake too much and some of the brake fluid came out. Now I need to add some fluid. Should I just use the bleeding procedure that is on youtube? Or do I need to use another procedure? The brakes are formula rx. Thanks for any help.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhayden View Post
    them? I am new to working on hydraulic discs so bare with me. I was trying to remove some sand from my brake caliper by removing the pads and pumping the brake in order to push the piston out and then clean the sand out. Last night though, I pumped the brake too much and some of the brake fluid came out. Now I need to add some fluid. Should I just use the bleeding procedure that is on youtube? Or do I need to use another procedure? The brakes are formula rx. Thanks for any help.
    To be safe, I think you should rebleed the brake to make sure there is no air in the system. Is the lever going to the bar?

When My brakes get dirt and sand or mud in them, I will usally flush the caliper with alcohol, let dry, and then used compress air to get any remaing debris out of the brake.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the lever will go to the bar, but i do get some braking power just before it touches the bar.

Merendon Junkie
    You more than likely got air into the system when the piston lost its seal. Especially if you released the lever at that moment. Do a complete bleed.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhayden View Post
    the lever will go to the bar, but i do get some braking power just before it touches the bar.
    That sounds like air in your system...