mtbr member

I just want to slow down a little

My Marta Sl brakes are about 3 years old. They just don't bite like they should. on a steep downhill i really gotta squeeze to get stopped. I've tried new and different rotors(avid cleand sweep and roundogon, hayes, and magura) and pads both magura and off brand. i recently bought the magura brand performance grade pad for the front and it still isn't enough. I have 2 friends with the same brakes and both of thiers are much more powerful than mine and they both have 160mm rotors on 29er wheels so i would expect them to feel the same but they don't.

Is there something else that governs the braking power other than the pads and rotors? In other words can a complete overhaul with new fluid and a clean & lube for the pistons help this issue? I know for a fact that 160mm marta's are powerful enough for what i'm looking for mine just aren't performing up to snuff.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    yea its probably the bleed, good luck getting it fixed.

mtbr member
    Replace the fluid and bleed completely

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Make sure the rotor and pads are clean. I regularly wipe my rotors down with a clean rag wetted with denatured alcohol as it leaves no residue. Periodically I do the same with the pads - i.e. remove them and scrub them strongly as I did the rotor. Be sure not to touch braking surface of either with your bare hands as body oil will collect where you don't want it. Sometimes if the pads look glazed I'll lightly sand them with 300 sand paper then clean with the alcohol. If you by some chance use any kind of spray lubricant on or around your bike be advised it's hard to control where it lands and some may end up on your rotors. That's not good.

And personally I'd do that cleaning before I'd resort to bleeding.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    i've done the cleaning w/ alcohol. don't use any spray lubes and do my best not to touch rotors or pads. This is a problem that has been on going for about a year now. I've been through several pads and rotors trying to fix it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try new fluid and bleeding it then.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save