bicioso

I hate Tektro Novelas

They squeal like pigs in death row! from day one and it's gets old real fast.

These came w my entry level 10' c'dale cross bike. I know most ppl would think they are crap but they seem to perform ok on the street (main use is utilitarian) other than the noise .

I'd like to upgrade to Avid BB7, both have 160mm dia/ 6 bolt pattern, is this possible?
    I'm very new to disc brakes (primarily a roadie here) do you guys foresee compatibility issues?
    Can I reuse cables and brake lever or have to be Avid specific?
    TIA

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by spinerguy
    They squeal like pigs in death row! from day one and it's gets old real fast.

These came w my entry level 10' c'dale cross bike. I know most ppl would think they are crap but they seem to perform ok on the street (main use is utilitarian) other than the noise .

I'd like to upgrade to Avid BB7, both have 160mm dia/ 6 bolt pattern, is this possible?
    I'm very new to disc brakes (primarily a roadie here) do you guys foresee compatibility issues?
    Can I reuse cables and brake lever or have to be Avid specific?
    TIA
    Yes you can upgrade to BB7 no prob.
    You can re-use cables and levers - However, a nice set of 'compressionless' housings will do *wonders as will some adjustable levers (SD7s for example)
    *"wonders" is a strong word - but it's worth it IMO

In the meantime, you can silence squealing by reducing the harmonic vibration...
    You can try duct-tape on your rotor arms, lead weights to your caliper...

One thing that has worked for me, (I've gotten flamed for this, so beware), is a SMALL amount of graphite on a rag and then run across the rotor.
    If you go through alot of creeks or wash your bike often, you may have to do this again.

Yea, graphite is a 'lube' in many cases - and in this one as well, but it's a vibration (hertz) lube really -

hmmm, vibration lube
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bluesky has them in a set and it's cheaper than buying the individual components.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Combo-Kit.htm

bicioso
    Ha ha *that* kind of lube would take the meaning of this thread in a completely different direction.

Thanks for the input, will order in the next couple of days. Got paid yesterday and will do my tax return also this weeekend, that means some extra bucks in my pocket for parts yay!

Members who have read this thread: 0