Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    President of the Internet

I was gonna buy some Elixirs but...

pretty much all the reviews are horrible. Thought I might replace my BB7's with Elixir 7's to drop 300 grams but I'm weary now. Are the bad brakes or are people dumb?
    Sometimes you eat the trail, sometimes the trail eats you.

http://fairoaksandcarmichaelhomes.com

mtbr member
    Both ?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    2012's should be a lot better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
    2012's should be a lot better.
    Why?

mtbr member
    Better quality control during manufacturer.
    and a few design changes mentioned here

To further address the issue, Avid have reconfigured their production bleed process and facilities. “The downside of the current design is that if you have a bad bleed or air in the system you can also move air into the system really well,” said Paul Kantor, SRAM’s category manager for brake systems and mountain bike wheels. “That was a challenge for us; we fell down a bit in terms of our consistency of the bleed from our factory. It was a bit of a black eye.

"As of a year ago, we stopped production for a couple of weeks over Chinese New Year and we rebuilt every one of our bleed machines. It takes six to seven months to rebuild all of those machines; we’ve done that now. We've completely refined our measurement methods as to how we detect good or bad bleeds and the new machines mimic [our hand bleeding process].
    Last edited by mitzikatzi; 02-08-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

I'm Slow
    Both. Some people don't know how to work on brakes, and the elixirs take more time to get them right. And If you are like me I could never get mine quiet.

But I'm going to say go for the new XT or XTR trail brake, they really do preform well, easy, and silent.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

LightJunction.com
    Both.

I've ridden my Elixir CRs for the past two years. Minimal complaints for how cheap I got 'em. They suffer a bit when it comes to modulation, but I'm using 203/185mm rotors.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    I think 2011 was a really bad year for Elixir. I have a set of 2010 Cr's and I've never had a single problem with them, they aren't even noisy. On the other hand I've had 2 sets of 2011 Elixir's (R's to start then warrantied for a set of 5's) both have had a ton of problems. I am currently waiting for yet another warranty replacement set. My suggestion would be to wait until the 2012 brakes have been out for a while to make sure Sram fixed the problem, or go with a different manufacturer.

mtbr member
    I've never had troubles with them. I think the key is not being impatient in the set up. I've also never had an issue bleeding them except for one time when I thought I was smarter than everyone and could cut some corners on some steps to save maybe 3 minutes of time or something. Yeah, that was a bad idea. The subsequent bleed after that lapse of sense came out just fine.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    I have been using a pair of Juicy 5´s for the last 3 years. I haven't had one bad day riding them up and down mountains including a couple days of downhill runs at the local bike park. I've taken them on Epic rides over 13000ft and they still worked. As they are way older technology than what is currently available I wanted to upgrade to something with more adjust-ability. I also read all the reviews and started making up my mind until I came across this review:

Avid Elixirs for 2012 | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

It seems like for 2012 Avid addressed most of the issues of the previous Elixir line by identifying where the air got trapped and re-developed/designed the way in how the brake is bled etc. I bought a pair of 2012 X9´s run 200/180 and I am more than pleased, definitively all the adjust-ability I wanted.

I like Shimano and I like Avid, I like any brand passionate about assisting us in enhancing our ability when riding, trusting our hardware. A friend of mine has the new 785 XT´s and loves them. I think all these brakes are top notch and user preference is what it will come down to IMO, Peace

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Widgeontrail,
    I have a brand new, 2012 bike in the shop getting the brakes swapped out. I chose the XT's over the Elixir 9's, just because I have always had Shimano's. Like I said, the bike is new, it hasn't left the shop yet. I can make you a good deal on the Elixir's. PM me if interested.
    Bill

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Better quality control during manufacturer.
    and a few design changes mentioned here
    Because of how much faith I've lost in Sram, I personally wouldn't buy into that statement.

Admittedly it seems that the majority of people complaining about any brake is the result of improper setup, however I still feel that there is a higher rate of inconsistency experienced with Avid brakes. I definitely enjoy my friend's Code's on his old Dirtbag, but those are the only Avid brakes I can say I have truly enjoyed. Besides that, my own experience with Elixir 3 brakes was poor and I generally don't hear the best things about other Elixir's in the lineup. They're most definitely capable of being good, but with the uncomfortable (in my opinion) lever blade and the difficulty commonly experienced with these brakes, I wouldn't recommend them. I really enjoy my XTR brakes. Just don't get resin pads, whatever you do.

edit: I am especially frustrated with Sram/Avid/Truvativ/RS customer support. giant load, if you ask me
    Last edited by ehigh; 02-09-2012 at 10:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Admittedly it seems that the majority of people complaining about any brake is the result of improper setup, however I still feel that there is a higher rate of inconsistency experienced with Avid brakes.
    While true I would expect pre-bled brakes to work perfectly and have no issues--there's no way to set them up improperly. That said I liked my juicy 7s, tried the newer elixirs a couple of times and wasn't a fan. Hopefully they have improved them.

Ride or die
    FWIW, I have been using Avid brakes, Juicy's and Elixers, for many years on a few different bikes and have had very few issues despite my aggressive riding style. My brakes rarely rub and NEVER repeat NEVER make noise. I ride with a few guys who bash my Avid brakes on every ride and constantly extol the virtues of Shimano. However, I have noticed a few things: 1) on just about every ride, someone has brake squeal and honking, and it is not me. 2) on just about every ride, someone complains about brake rub and it is not me. 3) when we mess around on each others' bikes, I notice a marked dearth of power from shimano brakes.

I am not a fanboy of any particular brand. I really don't care what brands people use, and my own decisions are made exclusively based on performance. That said, my Avid XO Elixers have not let me down and provide awesome power and modulation.

I don't know why others have sooooo many problems. I take the time to set them up and keep them clean and they reward me with near flawless performance.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    While true I would expect pre-bled brakes to work perfectly and have no issues--there's no way to set them up improperly. That said I liked my juicy 7s, tried the newer elixirs a couple of times and wasn't a fan. Hopefully they have improved them.
    Unfortunately, when dealing with the integrity of Avid, I have found that my idealizations dissolved quickly once they were faced with the reality of the matter. Certainly, the brakes can work, and I'm sure they can also work well, I just think it's a matter of personal preference-which is greatly reflected by the experiences one has with the product/company. With any company, you'd think you would deserve a fair sense of service when dealing with product difficulties after spending thousands on products from that company, but that hasn't been the case with Sram, and for that I don't have any immediate plans in terms of being a returning customer. Something about taking 4 weeks to return a shock to me, still faulty, as well as numerous hick-ups with sales-reps and customer service with Avid and RockShox. Fortunately, my drivetrain is still reliable. For now..

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    They can easily be set up improperly with the tri-align system.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    You bring up a valid point. Maybe it's not just about poor quality control, perhaps it's also a overly complicated basic design. A design that requires much more work, to get acceptable results, than any of it's mainstream competitors. Is Sram just chasing it's own tail in trying to nurse a bad design along? It might be time to go back to the drawing board !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmanchin View Post
    Or you can set them up correctly in a minute or so. A poor tradesman always blames his/her tools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've got a pair of Alixirs 1 for 2012 on my new Giant. Seem very, very solid.
    Brake lever feel is impecable, and to my surprise, the tri-align washers are gone.

However, removed them from the bike due to weight. Currently awaiting to be put on my beater bike.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Or you can set them up correctly in a minute or so. A poor tradesman always blames his/her tools.
    A company with poor ethics makes their products difficult to assemble when it should be a simple process

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of Elixir CR X9 's, but decided to do a more extensive review of them. What I read on MTBR reviews did not give me a positive feeling. I have Juicy 7 's on my bike now, with less than a year of riding on them. I've had not one problem as of this post. I am in the process now of building a parts list for a new build and I penciled Avids in without giving it a second thought. I looked at the Elixir line-up and decided on the CR X9, but after reading the reviews, I didn't like what I was reading. I'm now looking at the 2012 Elixir 7 's. So far I'm encouraged by the reviews I've been reading, including the one posted earlier. I usually stick with something that has worked for me in the past, and given me no problems, and the Juicy's have done just that. I'm not a genius when it comes to working on my own bikes, so I like my components to work well without a lot of problems. I can do the minor stuff, but I leave it up to my LBS for the bigger things.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi i was looking at buying some new hydraulics for my bike i have clarks s2 at the minute and im having problems with them which shimano brakes are the best to go for ive seen the new shimano deore brake set and the new shimano slx m666 but also i have seen the shimano slx m665 and i dont no which to go for any ideas will be very greatful.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    i think the m666 are the newer version of slx hydro's

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So the slx m665 aren't any good then I seen a set I live for £95 brand new.
    Ave u used or no who has used the new shimano deore 2012 brakes are they any hood not seen any reviews of then about

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Only a fool would buy any flavor of Avid brakes with the other brand offerings available now a days.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast