mtbr member

I did it anyway, because I'm so cool (Hayes with Shimano)

Well I figured I would wait a few weeks before posting anything in case they exploded into a deadly fireball or something, but I have (for now) successfully mated Hayes 9 calipers and hoses to Shimano LX dual control levers. A bike shop guy told me he had seen it done and ran for years with no problems, but we will see.

The theoretical reason you are not supposed to do this is that the 9's use DOT fluid and the Shimanos are designed for mineral oil. I am running mineral oil so in theory the oil could break down the rubber seals in my Hayes calipers and hoses since they are not tested for compatibility. That may still happen?

Fwiw they feel and work great, I am glad I did it (dual control is awesome). Worst comes to worst I will replace the hoses and seals with ones compatible with Mineral oil. The Hayes and Shimano hoses are identical in diameter by the way. It all spliced together nicely but it was a bastard to bleed.

Sorry no pics, I lost my camera.

Custom User Title
    I broke my XT755 lever so I replaced it with the Hope lever I had. It works great.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    Thats awesome it worked out. Not so cool is the choice of components...Hayes plus dual control, not so much.

wyrd bi ful rd
    well done ... but of course do let us know if the seals break down ... which i think is unlikely ... just logic ... i do not see how oil will breakdown any form of seal/rubber material ... i might be wrong ...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    well done ... but of course do let us know if the seals break down ... which i think is unlikely ... just logic ... i do not see how oil will breakdown any form of seal/rubber material ... i might be wrong ...
    Oil/fluids can contain additives that break down rubber if the rubber is not compatible with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    pics!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    .. why not spend the marginal amount of money for some lx calipers?

mtbr member
    I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I got the whole dual control lever kit for new $50 (from like $250 msrp) which is why I wanted to try it. I could have bought some LX calipers, but whats the fun in that? I'll keep everyone posted as to the long term durability...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandblast

The theoretical reason you are not supposed to do this is that the 9's use DOT fluid and the Shimanos are designed for mineral oil. I am running mineral oil so in theory the oil could break down the rubber seals in my Hayes calipers and hoses since they are not tested for compatibility. That may still happen?
    Since mineral oil is fairly inert compared to DOT you'd have issues if you set things up the other way around, i.e., running DOT in a mineral-oil system.

In fact, mineral oil is often used as a seal/gasket preservative, to prevent breakdown of the seals' substrate.

Meh.
    Pssh, I would've given you a pair of new LX DC levers for 20 bucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I heard that the seals may absorb the oil which causes the pistons to expand but not able to contract

mtbr member
    OK well it has been a while now...

I have had no problems with this setup, and even migrated it to my new Turner. Recently the pads weren't retracting all the way on the front, so I decided to rebuild the caliper because I hate rubbing brakes. Makes me wonder if Chober was right, but it actually seems to be a problem with a lot of Hayes brakes.

I rebuilt the caliper last night and put everything back together. This morning I am bleeding the brakes and like I stated in my first post it is a nightmare. I am using the old school auto method of filling the reservoir at the lever, pumping, holding the lever down and cracking the bleed nipple. Right now no air is coming out of the bleed nipple, only fluid, but despite that fact the pressure I can build up is minimal.

This is the same thing that happened last time though, I think I am doing something wrong. I'll get it...