Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I can't brake properly

762 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Speedub.Nate 
#1 ·
seriously. i ride a motorcycle year round and im having a left brain/right brain moment. my problem is i am used to front braking with my right hand that the bicycle just feels strange. im much better at modulating with my right hand.

is it possible to switch it so im using my right hand for the front brake?

#4 ·
Disc or Vs? It's entirely possible to switch, and it may be as simple as just disconnecting and swapping the cables from one lever to the other. It would require that the brakes be set up again afterwards, so if you're not happy taking that task on you could just ask your shop to do it for you, although you'll find set-up instructions for on the appropriate manufacturer's website. If the bike is new, the shop you bought it from might do it for free as part of your 6-week service (or whatever equivalent they should have given you). Worst case scenario is that the brakes different length cables/hoses.

#7 ·
Johnny Drama said:
v's. im not that great with bicycle maintenance/repair yet so im not sure about messing with the cables.
Swap 'em. It's really easy. It'll take about 2min. You just pop the cable off each lever and switch sides.
Here's how.
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=114

Just make sure that if you let someone else ride your bike you give them a heads up that your levers are opposite.

#8 ·
Over here in the UK and Europe i think ... right hand brake lever for the front is standard on all bikes. Never tried a left hand front brake system and would think it will be quite daunting ... came from a motorcycling background so it was just natural.

Not too difficult too swap them around ...

#9 ·
chinaman said:
Over here in the UK and Europe i think ... right hand brake lever for the front is standard on all bikes. Never tried a left hand front brake system and would think it will be quite daunting ... came from a motorcycling background so it was just natural.
Maybe in the UK this is standard, but on the other side of the channel is is definitly not :)

And indeed, with V-brakes it is very easy, but it is possible that you have to shorten some cables.

#11 ·
Johnny Drama said:
do i have to loosen them first?
You could disconnect the noodles from the carrier at the brake to make it easier -- just like if you opening them to remove a wheel.

But you can probably just dial in the barrel adjusters, line up the slots, then pull the housing away from the barrel adjuster. Doing so will expose the cable, which can then be easily slid out of the lined-up slots.

The ends of the cables will come right out of the carriers inside the brake levers. Simply swap sides, and re-attach the reverse of how you disconnected.

Don't forget to re-adjust your barrel adjusters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.