mtbr member
    Oct 2005

hydros that are low maintainence and reliable?

I'm currently running BB7s 160 f/r that are great. They are realiable trouble free work no matter what.

I am however curious about hydros and am considering them for my next build. The thing is I am lazy. I don't like to fiddle with stuff to much and I demand reliability, nothing is worse that getting stranded or not riding cause you need to fix something.

So any suggestions? I ride cross country so power isn't a huge demand. I was thinking Juicy 7s or elixers, or Marta's or hope mini

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    While they aren't the best or most powerful brakes out there, Hayes 9s are about as low maintenance and reliable as it gets. And bleeding them is a breeze should you ever need to.

Plus, at the moment you can get them pretty damn cheap.

Elixirs or Martas would be excellent choices - and certainly more powerful than the Hayes I just mentioned - just a lot more cash. I've never ran Hopes, beautiful looking though. Plenty of riders on these forums love them. My own, and friends, experiences with Juicys have been pretty mixed; can't say I'm a fan.
    If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

Dirt Deviant
    I'm really happy with my Elixirs R's. Very powerful and smooth with a progressive modulation......due to the taper bore.
    I find hydros to require less mantainence than mech brakes....aside from an annual bleeding. My buddy rides over 10,000 miles a year and only bleeds once every 2 years. I helped him with his last bleed and the fluid didn't look too bad. A little dark, but he prolly could have kept riding them as is.
    Hydros are nice because you don't need to fiddle with pad adjustment like you do with mechs.....they self adjust for wear.
    Just change the pads when they get worn, and bleed on a regular schedule and you are good to go.

Former Bike Wrench
    Hayes 9s are about as low maintenance and reliable as it gets.
    I've had two sets of HFX-Nines and while they were decent brakes, I wouldn't call either "low maintenance and reliable". I had master cylinder issues with both and also a sticking piston that require replacing.

The Hayes HFX-Mag on the other hand was stone reliable. I had two sets and never had any issues with them. I've also had good luck with my current Juicy 5's...one minor sticking piston that I was able to work loose without having to tear down the caliper and that's it.

mtbr member
    Don't forget Shimano either! I bought LX's and they have been great so far. XT or SLX with servo-wave would be a solid performer. I did lots of reading before I bought mine and I got the impression that Shimano was up there for the least issues with their brakes. Mineral oil doesn't absorb water like DOT fluid and will need to be bled less often.

Some people do run into noise issues with Avid's that can be a hassle to pin-point and eliminate. However you will see more threads about Juicy problems simply because so many people use them, so that is something to keep in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Good to hear about the elixer Rs I am illing to spend the extra money if the product is good. i've learned my lesson about buying twice.

I tend to have faith in avid and i agree that the problems maybe a result of the sheer number of juicy's in service