mtbr member
    Feb 2006

hydros from ebay

I ve found nice prices for shimano hydraulic discs on ebay but i have noticed they all come from china. Why so low prices? Are they fakes or defects?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Can you post a link to the sale?

A lot of cheap counterfeit Avid rotors were sold on eBay in the last few years. They might be moving to Shimano now. Check out this thread about the Avid fakes:

Rotors "striping"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm not familiar with that model of Shimano brakes. It looks like they categorize it as "Non-series components", which likely means they are for bike manufacturers who are designing a bike to sell at a low price. That probably explains why they're shipping from China. It doesn't look like a lot of online stores sell them, (which is also a little suspicious) but those that do seem to have them priced in the same range as this eBay seller.

You might want to search around these forums and see if there are any reviews posted for Shimano M395 brakes. I'm almost 100% sure you would get better performance from Shimano LX or (even better) SLX brakes. They're more expensive, but less pricey than XT brakes, but I don't know if they are available in white.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    New Shimano M445 BL M445 BR M445 Hydraulic Disc Brakes Front Rear White | eBay

they're the alivio line:

Shimano BR-M445

i'm guessing the br-bl m395 is more of a lower end. just a suggestion, i'd get the m445s. from the pics they are very similar and i can't comment/confirm about being fake or what not but the cheap price seem to correspond with it being a low-end part. i'd be perfectly happy with these brakes tho.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Spend some extra money on the brakes! Well worth it to help you not only stop the bike but control the bike better. Blueskycycling.com has some great deals going on right now for brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    depending on your weight and riding style really. for xc and general trail riding, these would give you alot of braking power and good modulation already. these are a big step-up from v-brakes and mechanical disc brakes that come stock with entry level bikes, you'll notice. if you're riding downhill and fast and you're a bit on the heavy side, you'll need more stopping power, modulation and heat dissipation. my used mtb from CL has a br m525 in the front but a v-brake in the back and i recently upgraded the rear to hydros too and bought a take-off, unused br m485 on eBay. first bike with hydros and it's insanely good (i'm 120# tho). my bro bought a new entry level GT aggressor with tektro mechs... night and day difference. alot here swear by avids BB7 tho

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If it was anything else I wouldn't mind getting it for cheap from china. I don't know, I may be paranoid here but for my brakes I want the best quality. Spend the extra $$ and get some bulletproof ones..

mtbr member
    My 2012 Carve Expert came with the BR-446 brakes, Spec's said BR-505 so I tweeted to Spec, their reply was that specs change all the time and they can not be held to what is published. Nevertheless, the BR-446's worked but not much stopping power, I could not fathom using any lower number then these and you can get a set with rotors for about $100.

Google

Save you money and get a set of SLX's if you can, they will be much better. I now have a set of M-785's and RT86's. I am in love with them but they were a bit costly.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    My 2012 Carve Expert came with the BR-446 brakes, Spec's said BR-505 so I tweeted to Spec, their reply was that specs change all the time and they can not be held to what is published. Nevertheless, the BR-446's worked but not much stopping power, I could not fathom using any lower number then these and you can get a set with rotors for about $100.

Google

Save you money and get a set of SLX's if you can, they will be much better. I now have a set of M-785's and RT86's. I am in love with them but they were a bit costly.

Mark
    I actually demoed a Carve Expert, S-works carbon Stumpy, and an S-Works FS....one of those bikes had terrible brakes, they were wooden and not much power. I can't really remember which bike it was though....

Just to comment on the M395s since i have a set on my bike (Scott Scale 970)...

The M395's work very well. I've been on a few different bikes and have felt different brakes and I'm extremely happy with the M395's. This is with a 180mm/160mm setup.