bro not pro

hydros don't work after bike upside down

after fixing a flat ( bike upside down for approx 5 minutes ), I resumed my ride only to find that my right lever would squeeze all the way to the bar with absolutely no braking action. I pumped the lever 4 or 5 times and the problem went away.

This was on the maiden ride of brand new brakes that my LBS installed ... they had to lengthen the hose. ... can I question the bleed ?
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You have air. Sometimes pumping them will work and get them where they need to be, sometimes not. I would ask them nicely to rebleed them, probably wouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    after fixing a flat ( bike upside down for approx 5 minutes ), I resumed my ride only to find that my right lever would squeeze all the way to the bar with absolutely no braking action. I pumped the lever 4 or 5 times and the problem went away.

This was on the maiden ride of brand new brakes that my LBS installed ... they had to lengthen the hose. ... can I question the bleed ?
    Since it went away so quick it sounds like there is a very small amount of air in the lever. Unfortunately, its probably like 1 little bubble too. Many times the bleeding procedure for disc brakes requires you to rotate the lever from the bottom to the top of the bar and flip the lever to loosen and remove air because there are places it can get trapped.

Personally, I would ask them to bleed them again, but id leave out the whole part about it happening after the bike was upside down. Maybe tell them it was on its side while fixing a flat. A questionable LBS might use the "bikes arent made to be upside down" as an excuse to pass up the required service.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

bro not pro
    thanks for the info. these were 2013 Shimano XT M785 brakes if that has anything to do with it.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    Yes, certainly question the bleed.
    Air is in the lines.
    Doesn't matter if you turned the bike upside down or not.
    A good bleed means you can leave your bike upside down for as long as you like.
    Levers going to the bar after a few minutes of being upside down means less than optimal bleed.
    You'll likely soon see the problem start to manifest in brake fade and pulsing on long descents.
    Just go back to the shop and tell them that you need a rebleed because the lever sometimes goes to the bar.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. these were 2013 Shimano XT M785 brakes if that has anything to do with it.
    It might, see below.

Shimano pre-bled brakes used to come in several lengths. Now they have one length, which is REALLY long, probably adequate to use on a size XL downhill bike.

I don't believe you can buy retail XT brakes except for pre-bled. And having installed a set just 2 months ago, I'm very sure about the tubing length.

So, perhaps you misspoke. The shop very likely needed to shorten the hose.

But they've boned up the bleeding for certain. And they really have no excuse because Shimano is well known, very common, and is the easiest (IMHO) of any major brake company.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    It might, see below.

So, perhaps you misspoke. The shop very likely needed to shorten the hose.

But they've boned up the bleeding for certain. And they really have no excuse because Shimano is well known, very common, and is the easiest (IMHO) of any major brake company.
    no, they had to lengthen the hose, definitely, I had to pay for a brand new hose, which was like $60 alone.

I purchased the brake set from a ebay seller from China ( big mistake ) - when it arrived I found the set was plumbed moto-style, and both hoses were way short - so I had the LBS swap the rear to the front (shorten that hose), and swap the front for the rear ( lengthen/new that hose). It is only the lengthened one that displayed the problem on the trail. So the money I saved on ebay was spent and more some to my LBS. big lesson learned here - don't buy from "rockworld", and second lesson, re-learned, is that if you want it done right, do it your self !
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    no, they had to lengthen the hose, definitely, I had to pay for a brand new hose, which was like $60 alone.

I purchased the brake set from a ebay seller from China ( big mistake ) - when it arrived I found the set was plumbed moto-style, and both hoses were way short - so I had the LBS swap the rear to the front (shorten that hose), and swap the front for the rear ( lengthen/new that hose). It is only the lengthened one that displayed the problem on the trail. So the money I saved on ebay was spent and more some to my LBS. big lesson learned here - don't buy from "rockworld", and second lesson, re-learned, is that if you want it done right, do it your self !
    ouch. I hope you got a really, really good deal because you can get 2013 XT brakes on closeout + 15% off at Universal Cycles for $103 each. that's pre-bled, with the aforementioned super-long hoses.

6BR
    mtbr member
    Its air in the hose like others have said..I had the same issue with my new XT brakes this yr until I re-bled them..problem solved..love these new XT brakes though.
    A troll's day:1.Log on 2.Write sh*tty comments 3.Laugh 4.Notice dick is still small 5.Weep openly 6.Have mom make him a PB&J

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    ouch. I hope you got a really, really good deal because you can get 2013 XT brakes on closeout + 15% off at Universal Cycles for $103 each. that's pre-bled, with the aforementioned super-long hoses.
    actually, if you read the fine print, they dont honor the VIP discounts on shimano products.

"Rock Bottom Priced Item - The price on this product has either been reduced to match a competitor's price, or the manufacturer does not allow coupons on their products. We can not honor coupons or online price matches on this product. However, the cost of this product if purchased will still count toward other coupons dependent on order total."
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandSpur View Post
    actually, if you read the fine print, they dont honor the VIP discounts on shimano products.

"Rock Bottom Priced Item - The price on this product has either been reduced to match a competitor's price, or the manufacturer does not allow coupons on their products. We can not honor coupons or online price matches on this product. However, the cost of this product if purchased will still count toward other coupons dependent on order total."
    true enough. that was not in effect when I ordered 2 months ago, and $103 is what I paid. they've had the XT brakes on sale a while now.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    This is what happens when you do shimano's "bleed free" line shortening process. Shimanos will usually work with a little air in the reservoir, but I think it's safer to bleed them properly.