Huckin' trails

Hydro for XC riding, which one ?

Hey, my brother is looking for a rear hydro for his XC bike and around $150. We were planning to go with 2012 XT's, but I've read some review about how hard they grab rather than precisely slow down a little, etc. Since the bike and rider are light, a well modulated brake would be preferred since not much kinetic energy is involved.

Other options to look at ? He would run a 140mm Ashima or other light rotor.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Lots of rave reviews for the Shimano SLX recently. Probably worth a try.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You can't go wrong with the XT's. The brakes modulate very well, set up properly. Do you realize just how many people use these these brakes without issue. I would not hesitate . The sintered pads are expensive to replace w/ Shimano. Rich

Huckin' trails
    I'm not worry about reliability, just about brake feel. You know, to get a second opinion or even a new suggestion.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey David, take Avid mechanicals for an example. Once they are set up properly, they work pretty good. But many people complain about an on and off feeling. Setup. I think Xt's have a great feel, but I'm 235 , so maybe they modulate better because of my weight. I don't have any experience w/ anything else.

Wēk Ss
    I'd use anything. You learn to modulate after you acclimate. I use brakes that people complain about being wooden, but I have no problems, and can easily tell when I am on a brake or when I am not. Hayes Stroker Ryde, Hayes Stroker Trail, no issues. Magura Louise BAT is good too.

Plus with the Ashima rotors, you can easily tell when you get on the brakes. I use Ashima too, for my Hayes. For Magura, I use the Magura Storm SL rotors.

For Avid BB7, if you use the SD7 levers, dial it all the way in, so it's in the cantilever position instead of v-brake. It'll be very soft then, and you can really modulate. I do the same for my rigid with v-brakes and SD7 levers (actually half way) and it's closer to my hydraulic discs.

Huckin' trails
    I personally only ride mechs so far. BB7, BB5 and Hayes MX2.

My brother (which is looking for the hydro) has never ride any disc brake equipped bike (well he rode my bikes a few times, but not enough to make it count). He's the one wanting to start with a rear hydro on his XC bike. I'm just checking out possibilities.

So XT and SLX or RX, etc are all alright. I think he has a little something for the XT's however

And I have SD7 levers. Gosh that was one of the best upgrade I ever did so far. Why you even need hydro when you have BB7 and SD7 ?

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

My brother (which is looking for the hydro) has never ride any disc brake equipped bike (well he rode my bikes a few times, but not enough to make it count). He's the one wanting to start with a rear hydro on his XC bike. I'm just checking out possibilities.

So XT and SLX or RX, etc are all alright. I think he has a little something for the XT's however

And I have SD7 levers. Gosh that was one of the best upgrade I ever did so far. Why you even need hydro when you have BB7 and SD7 ?

It's simple, because if cable brakes and BB7's were the shiznit, we'd see them on cars, motorcycles, scooters. We don't, do we? When you really need to stop, you go with hydraulic brakes.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post

I actually went BACK to BB7's after having way too much trouble with Elixir 5 hydraulic brakes. Too much noise and drag. And yes, I know how to adjust them.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    It's simple, because if cable brakes and BB7's were the shiznit, we'd see them on cars, motorcycles, scooters. We don't, do we? When you really need to stop, you go with hydraulic brakes.

Before motorcycles and scooters switched to hydro, they were using mechs. And drum brakes are still widely used in Europe and Africa (and probably many other places). Let's just say my bikes are not heavy as a motorcycle or even a scooter

And maybe you're not looking for the right thing ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would stay with mechanical save weight and money... I feel like maybe maybe if you were doing DH you might want hydro but not for XC save your money time and weight.

mtbr member
    I like the Magura Martas.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by immetro View Post
    I would stay with mechanical save weight and money... I feel like maybe maybe if you were doing DH you might want hydro but not for XC save your money time and weight.
    That's what I've been telling him... (except weight saving maybe not much). He's really unsure about hydro or mechs.... So I try to get him as much info on hydro as I can. Mechs I know them well already