mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hydro Identification

I purchased this rear setup (less the front IS adapter; more on that in a moment) nearly a year ago, for $60. Guy said it had new pads, line, and some guts in the lever, however i can't recall exactly what. The line appears new, the pads appeared unused, however the backing looks corroded, perhaps from sitting in a damp environment.

He said it was a Hayes Mag, however, with only the Hayes brand name on both the lever and caliper, I can't be sure. I did not notice any other markings on it, model numbers or otherwise, to verify that this was indeed a Hayes Mag, or point me towards what year this may be (for replacement part info).

I'm wondering how i would go about positively identifying this setup as either the Hayes Mag, or correctly identifying it otherwise.

It has a front IS installed, as i am using this as a front brake on a beach cruiser with a chopper fork and tall ape hanger bars. One of the reasons i'd like to know what it is, being the "hose-caliper fitting" is facing forward. I'd like to get an upward/rear facing fitting, so the hose run isnt so goofy looking, and close to the spokes. I'd need to know what part to order, etc.

I suppose i could just bring it into my LBS, and see if they know (there's a lot of clueless salesmen there). Would it be definitive if i pulled out a pad, and eyeballed it with a match online, and assumed that whatever the match was a replacement for, was my caliper?

On a related subject, i was either going to get this hydro setup done right for my application, or just buy a BB7 and try to sell this thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    overpaid, corroded pad backing may indicate leaky caliper seals. it does look like a hayes mag with g1 caliper

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yea, i didn't want to pay that much either, although originally the guy wanted $100, he was nuts. I wanted to try a hydro, and did.

I began to bed in the pads to this bike's rotor, but haven't ridden it or stopped enough to do anything, before i stored it for winter.

It works fine, given the symptoms of neglect/need of maintenance.

I'm rockin' BB7's on my mtb, and have no complaints (do anyone?), so I'll sell this thing and stick with the tried, tested and true.

Members who have read this thread: 0