mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hydro Identification

I purchased this rear setup (less the front IS adapter; more on that in a moment) nearly a year ago, for $60. Guy said it had new pads, line, and some guts in the lever, however i can't recall exactly what. The line appears new, the pads appeared unused, however the backing looks corroded, perhaps from sitting in a damp environment.

He said it was a Hayes Mag, however, with only the Hayes brand name on both the lever and caliper, I can't be sure. I did not notice any other markings on it, model numbers or otherwise, to verify that this was indeed a Hayes Mag, or point me towards what year this may be (for replacement part info).

I'm wondering how i would go about positively identifying this setup as either the Hayes Mag, or correctly identifying it otherwise.

It has a front IS installed, as i am using this as a front brake on a beach cruiser with a chopper fork and tall ape hanger bars. One of the reasons i'd like to know what it is, being the "hose-caliper fitting" is facing forward. I'd like to get an upward/rear facing fitting, so the hose run isnt so goofy looking, and close to the spokes. I'd need to know what part to order, etc.

I suppose i could just bring it into my LBS, and see if they know (there's a lot of clueless salesmen there). Would it be definitive if i pulled out a pad, and eyeballed it with a match online, and assumed that whatever the match was a replacement for, was my caliper?

On a related subject, i was either going to get this hydro setup done right for my application, or just buy a BB7 and try to sell this thing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    overpaid, corroded pad backing may indicate leaky caliper seals. it does look like a hayes mag with g1 caliper

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yea, i didn't want to pay that much either, although originally the guy wanted $100, he was nuts. I wanted to try a hydro, and did.

I began to bed in the pads to this bike's rotor, but haven't ridden it or stopped enough to do anything, before i stored it for winter.

It works fine, given the symptoms of neglect/need of maintenance.

I'm rockin' BB7's on my mtb, and have no complaints (do anyone?), so I'll sell this thing and stick with the tried, tested and true.