View Poll Results: Which HYDRO Disc has the LEAST amount of RUB???

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shimano

4 19.05%
  • Hope

4 19.05%
  • Formula

3 14.29%
  • Magura

6 28.57%
  • Hayes

2 9.52%
  • Avid

2 9.52%
  • Grimeca

0 0%
  • Sram

0 0%
    The Riddler

Which HYDRO has the LEAST amount of RUB??????????????????????

I am wondering what you people think about hydro discs. I hate rub, any kind, at any time. Anyway, I was wondering which brake you people thought had the least amount of rub. The brake should be light (for XC racing) and hydraulic. Any more help would be excellent. I am growing to the point of leaving my XTRs once and for all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Smile You can get any hydro...

rub free, if you're prepared to put some effort into fettling it.....

The Riddler
    thanks, that's incredibly helpful. I'll be sure to consider that the next time i do anything. Just asking for an opinion that's all.

-> SickLines.com <-
    rub free permenently is going to be hard. Initially you may be rub free with a proper setup of any popular disc brake. The rubbing of a disc brake slightly however is not that bad and is not nearly as bad as a v-brake rubbing a rim. Its totally different.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Kap - sorry you to took offence...

at my post(there was a smiley attached)..... and it's true you CAN get any disc brake rub free if you're prepared to work on getting it trued. Details on how to true a rotor can be found in the FAQ...see top right for a shortcut.

Mtb_biker is also right when he says they will not always stay 'rub-free' and also that it isn't really that bad anyway, tyre noise is usually louder.....

Avid's Mech and also the New Juicy give independent pad adjustment which will undoubtedly help to alleviate any rubbing.

Good Luck & sorry for 'rubbing' you up the wrong way.....

banned
    Jan 2004

From my understanding, the Juicy's adjusters are for the levers,...

"Avid's Mech and also the New Juicy give independent pad adjustment which will undoubtedly help to alleviate any rubbing."

...not the pads, and are used to set at what point through the lever's pull it engages the pads, for balancing the feel of the levers left to right.
    Last edited by Gnarlygig; 02-16-2004 at 04:29 AM.

(aka SS_MB-7)

Formula B4s...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    I am wondering what you people think about hydro discs. I hate rub, any kind, at any time.
    Me too! I hate noises of any type on my bike, especially, brake rub.

Of all the discs I've owned (Hope C2 Pros, Hope Minis, Formula B4, Formula B4 SLs, and Shimano XTR/XT) and tried (Hayes, Grimeca, and Magura Louise), the Formulas have been the best for drag-free braking. The worst....XTR/XT.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Chrome Toaster
    I don't think there is any such thing as a "rub free" brake. The tolerences in making the piston and seal system retract properly are so small that it seems almost impossible for a manufacturer to make a consistent performing caliper as far as rub goes. I have owned most of the major brakes in the last few years and of all of them my Hope Mini's gave me the most teething problems when it came to rub. Both of themconstantly had a piston gatting jammed, sometimes to the point the wheel would not spin freely. Cleaning them readjusting only silved the problem for a small bit. The Hayes worked great but sometimes did the zzzziiiiing sound although it was no big deal, barely noticeable when riding. My old XT's ran rub free most of the time. Only when they got really dirty did the start rubbing a bit. I think it was due mainly to the small pistons getting jammed more easily because they had less force to retract. Right not I have XTR's on two bikes and they are as close to perfection as ever. On one of the bikes I can take any piston, move it around, force another back into the caliper push the other all the way into the rotor and once I pump the lever a couple of times they readjust PERFECTLY. On my other bike the front one did come with a slight defect in which one piston doesn't retract as well as the other but all it does is a slight rub sometimes that doesn't affect rotation. Not any different from the others I've tried.
    I know you're convinced that the Shimano's suck because of your problem but you probably got stuck with a bad set. I'm sure you can get them replaced and a new set will perform perfectly.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Right not I have XTR's on two bikes and they are as close to perfection as ever. On one of the bikes I can take any piston, move it around, force another back into the caliper push the other all the way into the rotor and once I pump the lever a couple of times they readjust PERFECTLY. On my other bike the front one did come with a slight defect in which one piston doesn't retract as well as the other but all it does is a slight rub sometimes that doesn't affect rotation. Not any different from the others I've tried.
    I know you're convinced that the Shimano's suck because of your problem but you probably got stuck with a bad set. I'm sure you can get them replaced and a new set will perform perfectly.
    For the first 4-6 weeks, my XTR/XTs were fantastic...excellent power and modulation with a very firm lever. Just what I look for in brakes.

Then, the front brake started to rub. One of the pistons would not fully retract after the lever was released. I tried everything to fix it, but nothing worked. Eventually, the rear started to exhibit the same sticky piston syndrome.

Once I had some downtime (i.e., weather was -48F), I pulled the brakes off and warrantied them with Shimano Canada. They just arrived back at my LBS after 4 weeks. I'm not yet sure what the warranty consisted of -- hopefully, new calipers.

Actually, I'm not anti-Shimano....I love some of their stuff (959 pedals, 320 and 220 shoes, etc.) But, I do feel they have/had problems with their XTR calipers. Just read through the old MTBR.com brake boards and you'll notice a lot of users with similar issues. Now, whether or not my warrantied XTR/XTs will do the same, time will tell.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The only time I get any rub on my Magura Louse FR is when the rotor get's dinged by a crash or a rock hit or some-such. Minute or two truing the rotor and I'm all good. Maybe happen less if I didn't have 180mm rotors though.

Baliw
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The Hayes worked great but sometimes did the zzzziiiiing sound although it was no big deal, barely noticeable when riding. My old XT's ran rub free most of the time.
    I've been occassionally having the zing sound with my Avid mechs, and before that, with Hayes mechs, even though the pad clearances have been adjusted properly. I only get that noise from sintered pads, and upon examination, I can see that some of the metal embedded on the pads stick out slightly as the pad wears (and some come off the pads, leaving small craters). It's like the metal bits warp ******ds when released from the pad material, and these seem to touch the rotor, causing the noise. Have you had these sounds from non-sintered pads?

A wheelist
    Rub? Only Magura Gustav is designed to have rub. They're supposed to rub. All others that rub are either faulty (sticking pistons) or have not been installed correctly. None of my disc brakes (ten sets) have ever rubbed until I pulled the levers.

The Riddler

Thanks for the help and sorry Corky.

I was just a little up tight about my brake situation. My XTRs are going nuts rubbing and all. I am probably the one going nuts actually. I have only a month until my first race. I think i will go for the b4s, they are light also. Thanks for the help again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... Hey Kap...

No worries.....good luck with the formulas....always ppular with racers!

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

True rotors

Just in case you haven't yet. .... truing your rotors? For me that was the difference in eliminating the scrapes and rubs.

mtbr member
    Check the other post about putting a minute amount of oil on your piston o-rings, helped on my set of XTRs.
    [SIZE=3]'When he's not in action, he's in traction.'[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    "Avid's Mech and also the New Juicy give independent pad adjustment which will undoubtedly help to alleviate any rubbing."

...not the pads, and are used to set at what point through the lever's pull it engages the pads, for balancing the feel of the levers left to right.
    You are correct - the dial on the Juicy levers has nothing to do with how far the pads sit from the rotor. The Juicy does not have independent pad adjustment like the Avid Mechanicals do.

The red dial on the Juicy levers are used to set the point at which the lever starts moving the pad, like you said.

banned
    Jan 2004

Yet another good reason to wear full fingered gloves...

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    The only time I get any rub on my Magura Louse FR is when the rotor get's dinged by a crash or a rock hit or some-such. Minute or two truing the rotor and I'm all good. Maybe happen less if I didn't have 180mm rotors though.
    ...they allow for trailside rotor truing without getting oil from your skin on them. Of course you still have to let the rotor cool down though.