mtbr member

Hydro brakes & an upside down bike

Hi,
    I know this has been discussed. I just could not find a definitive answer.
    I just switched from Avid BB7s to Juicy 7 hydros.
    If I'm out on the trail & I get a flat or whatever, I like to flip the bike upside down for repairs.
    Is this bad for the hydraulic brakes? ... air bubbles and what not?

-thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I hang my bike upside down/vertical for extended periods of time with juicy 7's, formula R1's and shimano XT's. Haven't had a problem yet.

If there is air in the lines you need to bleed regardless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got Juicys, turn the bike upside down all the time. No problem.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9
    Hi,
    If I'm out on the trail & I get a flat or whatever, I like to flip the bike upside down for repairs.

-thanks.

With a good bleed not a problem...

Buddy has a bad bleed, from the LBS, got a flat, flipped it over and fixed the flat...

Off we go down a hill into a tight corner with a railing...Buddy has no brakes and hits the railing doing 25 kph....big bruise on the thigh...

Take away every time you get on a bike poke both brakes...takes but a second.
    Last edited by jeffscott; 09-24-2010 at 01:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    With a good bleed not a problem...

Buddy has a bad bleed, from the LBS, got a flat, flipped it over and fixed the flat...

Off we go down a hill into a tight corner with a railing...Buddy has no brakes and hits the railing doing 25 kph....big bruise on the thigh...

Take away ever time you get on a bike poke both brakes...takes but a second.
    I broke my collarbone a couple years ago because of a no brake issue.
    Took the bikes off the car rack, my buddies had hydo-disc brakes, so they took off as soon as their wheels were on. I did the same, but I had V-brakes. 50 yards into the trail was a steep downhill with a hard right at the bottom. I never made it around the corner and passed 2 people going into the corner before I crashed because my V-brakes weren't done up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9
    Hi,

-thanks.
    As the others have said, with a good bleed is shouldn't be a problem. And even if you do have a small bit of air in the master cylinder it likely would take longer than the time it takes to fix a flat to migrate to the caliper where it will cause the most problems.

Just make sure that you test the brakes after the flat fix before you go bombing off down the trail. You likely won't have any problems, but there is always that chance.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Take away every time you get on a bike poke both brakes...takes but a second.
    Word! Doing so will also save you if you've worked on your brakes and have forgotten to reconnect the cables before going for a test ride down the hill near your house. Please don't ask how I know that .

Edit: I hang my bikes from hooks all the time. No troubles at all w/the brakes. I run Avid Juicys.

Hates rain
    XT's and never had a prob with flipping the bike. As long as there isnt air in the line, it shouldnt be a problem.

As suggested, always check to make sure your brakes are working after flipping it over. I have a "dont ask how I know that" story too but Ill spare you lol.