mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Hydro brake question.

Having only used mechanicals for a long time I went and bought a set of Formula Oro K24 brakes. I've been riding for about six months on them and I noticed the front brake lever pulls closer to the bar than the rear. I don't think its a bleeding issue since braking power is still awesome. The little black lever is adjusted the same and the lever reach is the same on both sides too. Am I correct in assuming that the front wears faster so faster pad wear has the lever closer to the bar? Its not so close that I need to do anything about it its just something I observed.

Thanks!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Are you asking the internet to physically check your brake pads to see whether the fronts wore faster than the rear and do a safety check on your brakes to insure that you ride injury-free?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    No, just asking in actuality if fronts wear faster than rears and does the fast wear cause the lever to engage closer to the bar. The brakes work fine. If I can lock them with one finger thats safe. A visual inspection shows lots of pad.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Depends on how much you're using the front, that's why the internet can't answer the question, because only YOU can answer it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm just asking if pad wear cause the lever to engage closer to the bar not diagnose a braking issue. You're a strange dude.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Yeah, but you also want to know if your front break would wear faster, and only you can tell us if that has actually happened.

mtbr member
    They can wear unevenly.... my wife killed her rear pads the first couple trips to the DH park and the fronts wear fine.

I have never used Formula's but my Avid Elixirs and the her Shimano brakes the lever feel stays the same (or real real close) regardless of pad wear till the very end of there life.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime
    Having only used mechanicals for a long time I went and bought a set of Formula Oro K24 brakes. I've been riding for about six months on them and I noticed the front brake lever pulls closer to the bar than the rear. I don't think its a bleeding issue since braking power is still awesome. The little black lever is adjusted the same and the lever reach is the same on both sides too. Am I correct in assuming that the front wears faster so faster pad wear has the lever closer to the bar? Its not so close that I need to do anything about it its just something I observed.

Thanks!

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Could be a slight difference in the hydraulic fluid levels of each brake?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks, there is no difference in the feel. I just noticed on the front the lever comes closer to the bar at the point of pad engagement. I assume that as the pad wears fluid that was in lever is now in the caliper since the pistons extend out further.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Swap the brake pads front to back.

mtbr member
    My guess is there is air in line but I am not very good at diagnosing... I bought a pair of used Deore brakes for my commuter and after resetting the pistons and installing new pads one lever came closer to the bars before the pads made contact with the rotor. I bleed them both and now the both make contact evenly and faster than before.

Sorry I cant be more help, maybe search for bleeding and resetting pistons for formula?

Ray

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It makes sense to me that the front pads would wear more than the rear, but that's just my logic. You could try a new set of front pads, but I'd leave the rear pads in place, or just replace them too.

New front pads should fix the problem, but if not I would bleed the front and make sure it's topped off. When my reservoir is full, I squeeze an additional small amount of fluid from the syringe to top it off. If I don't the levers will move too much before making contact.

Never trust a fart
    Is there a lever adjustment screw? If so, you can use the screw to dial the feel of the lever a little.

My best guess, is that a bleed will make the pads engage sooner. Its not a pad problem, unless you absolutely toasted your pads. Check the thickness of the pads.

I've had pads last as long as a full year, but others have trashed pads in one ride - mud.