mtbr member
    Feb 2006

hydro brake line questions

I just installed my new '07 Juicy 7s, but am not quite sure how to proceed on a couple of problems with the cables:

First, how do I secure the front cable to the fork? I have a Fox F100 fork and there are no clips or any sort of way to secure it. I've seen a couple homemade fixes on this forum, but is that all there is to it? I mean, is it enough to securely fasten it to the fork itself, or should I also fasten it to the arch? Does the cable need to move freely within its fasteners? The cable seems to want to go up the back of the fork leg, and over the arch. But pictures i see cables going to the inside of the leg, passing to the front and then up (next to the tire). Which?

Cable length. I can tell by looking at the cables that they are too long, but how much to cut them down by? Is there a rule of thumb for how much of a 'loop' is enough? I don't want to cut it down only to find that I don't have enough length left.

Finally, what do I cut the cable with? Are there any other considerations in such a job besides the whole toxic brake fluid/bleeding process that follows?

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Routing seems to up the back of the fork through the arch up to the handle bar.
    My 2007 Fox has the new hose clamp installed on the front of the fork right about where the arch joins.
    My old Marz didnot of the fancy clip they just used a zip tie on the arch.
    I think this results in the hose in a well protected route.

The cable length is I think described best on Sheldon Browns site as with some routing suggestions.

I just eyeballed and cut about 2 inches long, then trimmed very carefully.

When you assemble the connections pusht the hose and fitting into the female reciever.by hand then sneak up the tighten nut carefully. What I mean is don't use the nut to suck up the joint.

Oh yeah and make double sure that you have all the parts on the hose before you hook up the last joint. I forgot one little housing, but I had a little too much hose so I recut it, and used my last ferrule to get it all right.

Going for a ride......
    Zip Ties / Cable Ties are commonly used (even by bike shops) to secure the cable to the fork leg. I've found one on the fork leg and one on the arch works well if your front brake is mounted on the left. I like to keep the cable away from the tire (depends what size you run) as I've had it flex on landing and rub against it - took me a while to figure out what that noise was - and eventually I found a better way of securing it (above)!
    The zip ties are plenty strong & will last ages, if they do deteriorate or break for some reason well it's very cheap & easy to just put another on there - you can get real thick ones if you're concerned and they even come in different colours!

I have no advice with cable length as I haven't had to deal with that yet.
    energetix