Who are the brain police?

Hydro brake line question

Without having an actual leak in a brake line, is there any reason to ever replace your brake lines?

I was in a bike shop and the mech told me I should consider replacing the lines (they're a few years old). He told me they get guncked up and don't work as well over time and that I'd benefit from a repacement.

I never heard this one before and can't tell if it's just a way of getting me to part with my $$$ or not.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Without having an actual leak in a brake line, is there any reason to ever replace your brake lines?

I was in a bike shop and the mech told me I should consider replacing the lines (they're a few years old). He told me they get guncked up and don't work as well over time and that I'd benefit from a repacement.

I never heard this one before and can't tell if it's just a way of getting me to part with my $$$ or not.
    I would take what he is saying with a grain of salt. The only time I would ever replace my brake lines is for a leak (not around the fitting) or from cable rub where it has gone through the housing, and is going to potentially leak in the near future. That being said I have a set of Hayes going on 4 years and all I do to them is annual fluid replacement.