mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Hydraulics VS. Mechanical Upgrade?

I was looking around at hydraulic dish brakes and i was wondering if its worth it to bother with hydraulics or just get some nice mechanical disc brakes like avid BB7s?

One Gear

Hydraulics VS. Mechanical Upgrade?

Take a look at the Shimano SLX brakes. Same technology as the more expensive XT line and not much more than the BB7.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    This thread has been posted a bunch before, so you might have a look at those for what others have done. That said, you're going to get about a 50:50 mix of people saying SLX or BB7. It's a huge personal preference and they are both good brakes. Depends on what you want it to feel like. Personally, I've had both and sold the SLX brakes keeping the BB7s on my bike. I like the feel of cable pull and I felt that the SLX had lower modulation but great power.

psycho cyclo addict
    I have BB7's and a bunch of hydro SRAM brakes (can't really go wrong XT or SLX either). Two considerations with mechanical brakes: they get sluggish in very cold temperatures, particularly when there are water crossings involved and it takes a bit more effort to keep on them for extended periods of time during long descents in my experience.

mtbr member
    Personally, I think it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you really depend on your brakes. Sounds crazy but I mean it. You can get BB7s per wheel with rotors for about $50-75. For SLX brakes it is about $120-130 with rotors per wheel. If you already have rotors, you can get the brakes for about $80-90.

As for absolute power, the SLX brake win hands down. However, I would bet for 90% of the riding people do, you don't need the power. You need to modulate your speed and BB7s do that very well.

Personally, I find SLX and XT brakes to be very good with little or no maintenance. Much less than BB7s actually. With BB7s', you need to get the best cables you can get and keep things clean. With SLX and XT brakes, just ride. In addition, my BB7s always squealed. My XT make no noise at all, which is actually nice.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 06-24-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

undercover brother
    I absolutely love my XTs. I depend on my brakes to keep me alive, or atleast in one peice. Mechanicals work great for flat trails, but I could never trust them going into a corner or sketchy section on a downhill like I do hydros.