mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Hydraulic Shimano XT DC levers adjustability

Hi,

My Shimano XT h. disk brakes with matching DC levers seem to be a bit twitchy, is there anything that can be done to improve the modulationability? There is an allen screw but i think it is only for reach adjustment. I'm running resin pads and 160mm rotors. Thanks.

V.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    what do you mean by twitchy? lever feels spongy? too grabby? not enough power?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    what do you mean by twitchy? lever feels spongy? too grabby? not enough power?
    Well, too grabby is the closest. Basically I'm looking for ways to increase effective lever travel during which the braking force would build progressively. Right now the distance the end of the lever travels from the moment brakes starts to grab until the wheel is blocked is about 1/2 inch, but I want it to be say 1 inch. More travel should make it easier to fine control the braking force, right?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar
    More travel should make it easier to fine control the braking force, right?

Not necessarily.... some other brand brakes have a bite adjust, but Shimano's don't.. (and a lot others brands don't have them either)....anyhow.. the modulation is there, you just need to get used to feather the brake levers a bit....
    Last edited by crisillo; 05-25-2007 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Not necessarily.... some other brand brakes have a bit adjust, but Shimano's don't.. (and a lot others brands don't have them either)....anyhow.. the modulation is there, you just need to get used to feather the brake levers a bit....
    That's what I thought. It is no problem for the most parts, but on steep downhill sections over loose stuff I wish I had more precision.

LA CHÈVRE
    It will come as you get used to them.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :