mtbr member
    Sep 2008

hydraulic or mechanical?

Looking to upgrade the V brakes on my Monocog and wondering which you guys prefer?

I have hydraulic discs on my other bike and I like them but I wonder how different mechanical discs are than the hydraulic?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    can you not tell between one bike and the other?

hydro's have more modulation. meaning its easier to control the amount of force applied to the caliper. v-brakes not so much, and they're susceptible to cable stretching.

on the flip side, some people dont like bleeding hydros. its easy, but just another maintenance step.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    so mechanical discs are going to be similiar to my current V brakes as far as the feel?

by the way, I'm looking at the Avid BB7's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    theoretically...yes. ive never used mechanical discs, but the basic method of function between v-brake and mech discs is the same. you're still pulling on a cable.

you might even be able to stop easier with vbrake since you have more leverage clamping on the rim and not a rotor. i could be wrong about that though...

...idios...
    Urgh, déjà vu, all over again. Read the FAQ at the top-right of the page, or at least try a search (link) before starting this feckin topic again.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    I guess this is this week's post on this topic. It feels like it's 2004 all over again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for wasting 30 seconds of your life to post nothing in this thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Jrkimbrough
    wondering which you guys prefer?
    I didn't see the FAQ, it is somewhat disquised up there with all the ads and such.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrkimbrough
    so mechanical discs are going to be similiar to my current V brakes as far as the feel?

by the way, I'm looking at the Avid BB7's.
    Mechanical discs like Avid BB7 are much better than V-brakes. If installed correctly, the BB7 will have one-finger braking action just a hair below that of hydros. It all boils down to how seriously you take your riding. I love my BB7s......but I need more power and modulation, and the BB7 lever feel is a bit firm. Also, the BB7 is heavy on the bike. They are still the best mechanical disc out there- while many others have shifted all their efforts on hydros......Avid still has a great set of stoppers.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

...idios...
    "Thanks for wasting 30 seconds of your life to post nothing in this thread...."

You're most welcome.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    I put "hydraulic mechanical" in the search and came up with lots of good threads. Put "VS" or "better" in there and you'll get more specific hits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Mechanical discs like Avid BB7 are much better than V-brakes. If installed correctly, the BB7 will have one-finger braking action just a hair below that of hydros. It all boils down to how seriously you take your riding. I love my BB7s......but I need more power and modulation, and the BB7 lever feel is a bit firm. Also, the BB7 is heavy on the bike. They are still the best mechanical disc out there- while many others have shifted all their efforts on hydros......Avid still has a great set of stoppers.
    Thanks! Weight is of no concern to me.

ride hard take risks
    Allot depends on the individual and how you will be riding the Mono. Definitely the BB7 is a advantage over the V especially in the wet or muddy conditions. Hydros will give better feedback over cables even with compression less housing.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Im a firm believer in the fact that hydros are better.
    You're pushing fluids compared to pulling a line, and fluids are overall provide much more leverage.
    But the BB7 lets you play with the tension in your line and contact adjust...and the lever has a decent feel to it. Hydraulics are set and forget for a good set. After an inital break in period you never really have to worry about it, maybe bleed the thing in a year or so.

Read the FAQ and use the search for more info.
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Any tips on brake adjustments for Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes with 160 mm rotors

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger63
    Any tips on brake adjustments for Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes with 160 mm rotors
    Sorry, you cannot do much with the Tektros.....if they already work. Just make sure the lever distance is correct for your fingers(small allen adjustment at lever body), the cable barrel twist adjusters are set not too firm, and the cables are clean.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"