Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008

Hydraulic Hayes, did I mess them up?

I ride XT brakes and was trying to fix my friends who has Hayes hydraulic brakes. I loosened 2 screws on the side that I thought would allow the pads to space themselves out more but all that ended up happening was brake fluid started to slowly leak out. There is now no more pressure in the brake lever. Do I need to get a bleed kit to fix it? Can anyone point me somewhere that shows how to do this? Not the brightest mechanically as you can see, but appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yeah you messed up....

those two screws hold the halves of the brake caliper together. The only fix now is to tighten em back down (obviously) and hope you didn't affect the seal between the halves. For instructions go to the Hayes website. They've got manuals online that cover all of their models for maintenance and bleeding. Just do yourself a favor and follow the given instructions exactly! Go here to get them http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/support_downloads.shtml . Or if you have to purchase the bleed kit, you can go here http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...80&category=17 . Or many other online retailers carry the kit, or a Hayes dealer should have them as well. If you do have to purchase a bleed kit it does come with instructions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Go Big or Go Home
    Feb 2008
    So we got the bleed kit but I wanted to see if this is how you actually do it, seems simpler than the directions make it out to be. Keep the piston part at the highest point and the caliper at the lowest parallel to the ground. Take the screw out at the top. Fill the squeeze bottle with brake fluid. Attach the rubber hose to the little nut/nipple thing on the caliper and loosen that. Then squeeze the brake fluid through the system until it dribbles out thus allowing for no air. Then put the screw back in and tighten the nut on the caliper.

Is that how it's done, do I fill the whole thing with fluid until it comes out? Appreciate the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would also like to know the answer to the above question.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kteg...eature=related

there's a good video of someone who knows what they're doing. i also posted a few videos of taking a caliper apart. the bleed process is really easy if you didn't get a bunch of air in your system. you're most likely ok because the brake fluid is viscous enough that it won't let air in. that being said, it's very possible (worst case scenario) you will have to bleed 5 or 10 times to get a good bleed. it's really a PITA if that's the case. my advice would be if you don't get it the first one or two times, then do your friend a favor and completely flush the system. you need to do this every so often anyways because water can start to accumulate in the system and flushing with fresh fluid will restart the clock on when the next time that he needs to bleed/flush will be.

remember, take whatever measures are necessary to keep all fluids except water off your pads and rotors. if you get fluid on your pads, you might as well throw them away.

some people, while bleeding brakes, like to squeeze the lever on the MC a few times or knock on the hoses with something metal to get the bubbles up and out.

the brake fluid will take paint off certain surfaces, but it's really not very toxic. it's about as bad as turpentine or nail polish remover. not something you want in your eyes, but nothing to have a nut about if it gets on your skin. good luck.

...and as for your question, you don't have to fill the whole system. as long as the entire system didn't get drained, you just need to get any bubbles out. if the lever doesn't feel spongy, then you might not even need a bleed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Hayes Nines leaking around

Ok here is a nother question. I have a set of hayes nines. i got all the air out of the system and put the rubber stopper back on the reservoir and it is leaking and bubbles are coming out around there then i pull the breaks. what do i do?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Guys, this video on YouTube is so easy to understand - it's the best one out there for Hayes. It's so good that you'll feel like an idiot for not being able to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpdTK...=UTF-8&sa=N&ta

I completely messed up my first time bleeding brakes - I basically screwed up every aspect you possibly could. I was about to give up when I found this video. I have not been able to procure the right equipment to assure me of a successful second try but I am obsessed with giving it another go.
    "If at first it doesn't bleed, try try again."

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTailAddict
    Guys, this video on YouTube is so easy to understand - it's the best one out there for Hayes. It's so good that you'll feel like an idiot for not being able to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpdTK...=UTF-8&sa=N&ta

I completely messed up my first time bleeding brakes - I basically screwed up every aspect you possibly could. I was about to give up when I found this video. I have not been able to procure the right equipment to assure me of a successful second try but I am obsessed with giving it another go.
    Hayes did a great job on that video.

Stroker bleeding video
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Hayes did a great job on that video.

Stroker bleeding video

That video is wayyy easier to understand than the other one. I think I'm about ready to give it a go.

Thanks guys