mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Hydraulic Front Disc, Rim Rear - same levers?

I've got an old fixer thats become my latest project. On this bike, I've been running a real old set of Magura Racelines F/R hydraulic rim brakes w/ no problems (~10 years or so)...

Now, I'm planning to go to a disc front, since the fork is being replaced, and now is my chance to upgrade. Is there a magura or shimano setup that would allow me to run a matched set of levers and keep the raceline rear rim brake calipers? Obviously, the frame is not disc compatible and I don't want to run any kind of adapter. I was thinking of picking up a set of Magura Julies and trying to run the rear raceline caliper with the julie lever and tubing. I cannot seem to find any detailed information about the master cylinder/ slave cylinder and volumes for the racelines, so I'm hoping somebody has some input as to whether this has a shot of working or not.

Any advice on how to make this work would be appreciated. TIA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Magura hydraulic rim brake with disc lever?

I am in the exact same situation. I need to mount my old Magura hydraulic rim brakes on my son's 20" BMX bike, but one of the levers is busted. It looks like the replacement lever should have a volume of 4 - 7 ccs to match the Magura (actually an old Kooka) lever.

I would like to just buy a set of Shimano XT M765 levers in the theme of switching over to modern, supported stuff. No parts available for the Kookas But I can't find any information on the volume of these levers.

I know they don't need to match exactly, but I don't want to buy a set of non-returnable levers without having some idea they are going to work.

Anybody know the volume, of know anybody who has used disc levers on a hydraulic rim brake?

I-S
    Magurified
    Lifespeed- Can't you just get a new or s/h magura lever? HS22 and HS33 used the same slave cylinders (and I THINK HS11 did too), so no probs with putting a newer lever with the old cylinders.

Badbatzmaru - As I said, the slave cylinders for the rim brakes were the same for many years, just the lever changed. However, the disc levers will not be suitable - HS33/22 uses a 14mm piston in the lever, while the disc brakes are typically 10mm. There's also the difference between the open and closed systems, etc.

I think you will find that having different levers is less of a problem than you think. For a while I ran Louise front and HS22 rear:

I never had a problem with it - the lever feel is different but it's going to be anyway (even if the levers themselves are the same, rubber pads feel different). You get used to it.

mtbr member
    The HS brakes are closed with no reservoir, Julie is open. The master cylinders are not compatible.

Julie uses a larger MC than the other magura discs (13mm IIRC), and uses the same hose as the rim brakes so that isn't so much the problem. It might be possible to somehow block the port between the MC and the reservoir if having mismatched levers really bothered you. Some other brake experts would have to chime in on this. It would certainly mean modifying the MC/lever and voiding the warranty...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the input. I thought this might be the case... I've run different levers before and no, its not unbearable... it could be worse, I could be running a rear V-brake

Even if modifying a lever was a potential way to solve the issue, I certainly wouldn't want to do that with a brand new one. A cheap used one, maybe. Instead, I would rather use the money to just get a better front disc, since I'm using that one 3-4x as much as my rear.