mtbr member
    Jan 2005

hydraulic disk brakes - hard to adjust

Howdy!
    I'm having a difficulty adjusting Shimano M485. The forks is Recon SoloAir, the hub - Deore Disk, and 6" Shimano rotors. It's all about 4 months old and ~ 1500km.

The problem is not really new: to align to caliper and rotor I have to move the caliper all the way invards, and even then the rotor is sitting very close to inner pad - sometimes it clears the pad, sometimes it just makes a bit of noise and sometimes it slows the wheel from rotating freely. Every time I replace the wheel it is a random result - I guess because the gap is so tiny that even slightest change in axle position makes a difference.

Provided I was clear explaining myself, does anyone have the similar issue and/or can suggest how to deal with it? I'm contemplating putting some thin washers under caliper bracket mounting bolts, thus moving the whole assembly invards - is this the way? I suspect it could be possible to move rotor outwards, but not sure...

The bike in question is Giant Anthem 2

regards
    nampla

mtbr member
    You'd be better off moving the caliper. That is pretty standard with some brands/models of disc brakes (using washers that is). Make sure your mounts on the fork are "faced" (any decent shop will have the equipment to do this) since that will make sure you have a nice flat, even surface to begin with.

I've spaced a rotor over before, no big deal on a 6-bolt at least, although that's six washers to place, might be easier to space the caliper over depending on mount...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique