ADIDAB

New question here. Hydraulic Disc Newbie

G'day All,

I've just pulled the trigger and bought my first set of discs - '08 Shimano XT's - which will be going on my Soma Juice. I've never worked on or installed disc brakes before so do any of you enlightened ones out there have any tips and tricks, or even web links, to installing discs?

I've got the 'manual' that comes with the brakes but if there's anything specific I need to watch out for or take care with that the manual doesn't mention then it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    My LBS | Riding this and this

Meh.
    Check out the Park Tools website's repair section for installing, centering, bleeding, all that stuff.

The performance will get better after the pads break in. Don't get contaminants such as oil or lube on the pads and rotors.

wyrd bi ful rd
    I think the manual should cover everything. If it does not specify the torque for the rotor bolts do not go above 5NM.

Bleeding if you need to will be as per the manual, which is quite good.

You will need to 'break-in' a new set of brakes. Pedal up to speed and pull in your brake lever firmly such that you are slowing down consistently but not until you come to a complete stop, then repeat the procedure again. Might have to do it 20-30 times for each brake. Your brakes will be more consistent after they have been 'broken-in'.

ADIDAB
    Thanks for the tips guys.

My next question is this. The brakes came pre-bled and ready to go, however, they are still too long and I need to cut them shorter. How do I go about doing that? I'm assuming I have to drain the fluid first and then cut. Can someone help a brother out, or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks again...
    My LBS | Riding this and this

wyrd bi ful rd
    you will need to get a new olive and insert for the end of the hose ... no point saving by trying to re-use your old ones ... you will need to bleed the hose again ... instructions are pretty clear with what you need to do ...