mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hydraulic disc brake advice

Hi
    i am looking a buying the avid Code R disc brakes with 203mm rotors is the shimano saint or hayes stroker ace better or worse. any advice on other Hydraulic Disc Brakes would be great to.
    Thanks

T.W.O.
    What bike are you putting the brakes on, and how much do you weight you may not need 203mm in general but more info would help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i am putting them on a all mountain and cross country type of bike i weigh 75kgs

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Wow! Unless you do some really hairy down hill runs, the Codes with 203s will certainly be over kill IMHO. The Code is a 4 piston brake designed for down hill and freeride, and they excel at that. They are very powerful and on the heavy side, 420gs for a front with a 160mm rotor. You'd certainly have enough brake with the Codes and 203 rotors, but at you weight (unless your bike weighs 45lbs) you could easily get away with a 185mm front and 160mm rear. You're call, you'd certainly have no lack of stopping power with the Codes. But there is such a thing as to much of a good thing.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks for the advice i will get the 203mm rotors. I don't care how much the brakes weigh

The Mud Stud
    Stay away from hayes. Shimano and avid's are all good performers (well the upper level stuff).

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordey
    Hi
    i am looking a buying the avid Code R disc brakes with 203mm rotors is the shimano saint or hayes stroker ace better or worse. any advice on other Hydraulic Disc Brakes would be great to.
    Thanks
    If you don't care about weight and limit to only your choices I'd get the saint, it's the only one that offers the most adjustment. However, paring that with 203mm rotor is what's the word I'm looking for well overkill is an understatement. Saint is a 4 piston powerhouse and 8" rotor would give you a lot of leverage to brake, it would be a good fit if you weight double of what you weight now but.

You may run into finger fatigue on a long descend I found that to be as unpleasant as arm pump because you have to finesse the lever too much for your application. I assumed that your fork and frame can accept 203mm rotor without warranty problems.

If you are open to choices of brake then xt 775, Magura louise, or formula rx would be better choices.