mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Hydraulic brakes - was this an unreasonable test?

For a while now I have had a really frustrating problem with my Shimano XT brakes. One that I just haven't been able to resolve.

Strange Shimano disk brakes problems

The general opinion seems to be that I have a leak which is contaminating the pads. However, I just couldn't see any signs of a leak.

So, I took the pads out, put a spacer between the pistons, pumped the lever to grip the spacer and then ty-wrapped the lever on tight and left it like this overnight.

In the morning I found that some oil had leaked past the piston seals.

Now, my question is - was this an unreasonable thing to do? Have I finally found that the seals genuinely were leaking or have I forced them to leak by doing something that the brakes were never designed to do?

Any advice appreciated.

John

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Seems reasonable to me - it wouldnt be any more pressure than if you had reefed on the brakes while riding, just long enough for you to find the leak. And since it leaked, the pressure would have gone down accordingly.

Did you do both front and rear or just the one?

Also - if you still have problems with your braking power after you get it fixed - check to make sure the adapters are holding the brake calipers on square - if they are off it really seems to cut back on the braking power.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Rizzle
    Seems reasonable to me - it wouldnt be any more pressure than if you had reefed on the brakes while riding, just long enough for you to find the leak. And since it leaked, the pressure would have gone down accordingly.

Did you do both front and rear or just the one?
    I just did the front i.e. the troublesome one.

Bro Mountainbiker
    That sounds very reasonable.
    Did you squeeze the lever any harder than you would in a "OH ****" situation?

Im sure they are designed to hold a good amount of pressure.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens