MTB SOCAL

Hydraulic brakes for smaller hands?

I'm building up another mountain bike for my wife. I'm using mostly spare parts for the build. The brakes I were going to use are a set of Hayes Nine hydraulic brakes with carbon levers from a few years ago. However, I was wondering if there are certain models of hydraulic brakes better suited for riders with smaller hands. I know Hayes did make brakes with short reach levers a few years back. I personally run Hopes on all my mountain bikes now.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    I'm building up another mountain bike for my wife. I'm using mostly spare parts for the build. The brakes I were going to use are a set of Hayes Nine hydraulic brakes with carbon levers from a few years ago. However, I was wondering if there are certain models of hydraulic brakes better suited for riders with smaller hands. I know Hayes did make brakes with short reach levers a few years back. I personally run Hopes on all my mountain bikes now.
    I have small hands, size 7.5 ring, and just mounted a set of Shimano 775 XT brakes on my Vassago. While the Shimano 535s and Hayes brakes I have used had some adjustment in the lever travel, it was very small compared to what I get with the 775s. I usually like a lever pull that comes close to the grip when at max pull and I can pretty much get this with these. Something I have never been able to achieve with the other hydros I used. The only other brake that let me do this were BB7s. I would imagine the newer Shimano SLX's give the same lever adjustment as the XTs.

Brian

mtbr member

nines will work

I have small hands and I've never had a set od brakes I couldn't adjust to work the way I like them to, I just move them close to the bars. Some of the aftermarket levers might help.

mtbr member

nines will work

I have small hands and I've never had a set od brakes I couldn't adjust to work the way I like them to, I just move them close to the bars. Some of the aftermarket levers might help.