mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hydraulic brakes rubbing...

So I just got back from my first ride on my new Trek Fuel EX 5.5 and now both the front and the back brakes are rubbing. The bike has Shimano M486 hydraulic disc brakes. I have never had any kind of discs, let alone hydraulic and I am not sure what to do.

Can I adjust it or should I take it to my LBS?

mtbr member
    So after 3 hours, are they still rubbing? The rubbing may be due to overfilling the brake a little + heat. Check your alignment first - you can eyeball this. Chances are if you're rubbing, the rotor is contacting one or both pads. If it contact both, your system's probably overfilled. If it only contact one (meaning there's a big ~ 1mm gap on one side), then just realign them so that there is even gaps on both sides of rotor. If your system is overfilled, get some paper towels, open cap on the lever, put it back, tighten screws, and wipe up any fluid that comes out.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've found that new Shimano pads tend to rub badly when first installed, but after a few rides they settle down a bit and the rubbing disappears.
    As vk said, check the alignment and centre up the calipers if needs be. Check the FAQ section at the top right of this, and the main brake time forum, page for more help.
    I'd personally hold off opening up the levers to drain some fluid until alignment is correct and for 1 or 2 more rides.

local trails rider
    Aligning the caliper is done the same way on most brakes now:
    - loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter (which is bolted on fork or frame). About one rotation of the bolt should be enough.
    - squeeze the brake lever and hold.
    - retighten those two bolts
    - release brake lever
    >>> done.