"2 Wycked"

Hydraulic brakes and heat exposure.

I rode to the beach today, stayed for about 3 hours and left my bike in the sun where I could see it, and when I went to leave the real wheel on my bike would not move, the front brake was fine. It felt as if the brake lever was being pulled. After it cooled down a little bit it worked like normal, has anyone heard of this before? Did I do any damage to the brake?
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Just a guess...you probably have some air in the system and the heat from sitting in the sun caused the air to expand, therefore causing the pads to engage the rotor. What's odd is that it usually takes a lot more heat for this to happen (e.g. a very very long downhill with continuous braking) and when the air expands in the hydraulic system (or when water in the hydraulic system boils into steam), the system usually compresses easily (i.e. the brake lever pulls all the way to the handlebar and you lose braking power).

In regards to whether or not any damage was done, I highly doubt it. However, I'd recommend getting the air bled out of the system.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

"2 Wycked"
    Thanks, air in the line makes sense since the front brake was fine. Guess I'll be bleeding my brakes in the near future. Thanks again.
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!