mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Hydraulic Brakes

I made another general post about this, but I am asking for your expert advice, please! My UCC Dynamite bike is for commuting around a city with terrible roads, and weekend trail riding. Nothing extreme, but I WOULD like it to be rugged, even more so than usual. It currently has Shimano manual disc brakes, probably on the low end of their brand line. I would like to find some hydraulic disk brakes. I would like them to be solid mid-range, not cheap, and not professional models, but solidly, very good, and able to tackle rough riding. Any advice, please?

mtbr member
    I have had Deore 525 Hydraulic discs on my main commute/race bike for almost 10 years now with no complaints. A new pad set every couple years, 1 finger to control. I rebuilt the calipers at 6 years and they were perfectly fine. Pretty good for a cheap set I bought off ebay

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I run the Shimano XT hydraulic brakes. Quite good, but might upgrade to more hi-end Hope's though.

Did I catch a niner?
    A price range would be ideal, then we can go from there.

If you ride all year (get snow/ice and road salts) I would at least keep the mech set for that time of year to keep the hydro's looking nice and less wear.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    a shimano no brand would be enough those work almost the same than the xtr, xt, slx just that with more weight and are more durable and reliable

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    shimano deore for me works just fine for offroad riding (mud, downhill, torrential rain).

also have a bb7 standing ready for my next bike project. in my experience thus far, avid hydros are fussy breks. but my mates and i ride shimano hydros.... reliable and ease of bleeding is surely a plus!!

cheers!

blood in / blood out
    I have a few sets that would work for you. Both are hayes hydro's and I can let them go at a fair price. Just PM me and we can talk. Also, you will need some wheels to go with the brakes if you haven't thought about that.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Chilkoot Cafe & Cyclery

mtbr member
    buy almost anything but avid crap never buy those they will last at much 1 year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRchris1996 View Post
    buy almost anything but avid crap never buy those they will last at much 1 year
    I agree, and I have taken a couple bikes off my want list because of these Avid 1 brakes or even Avid 3 I have a riding partner that has Avid 5's and he went with them because they are suppose to be better, well he is having issues with them. I would almost rather stick with V-brakes!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Panic View Post
    I agree, and I have taken a couple bikes off my want list because of these Avid 1 brakes or even Avid 3 I have a riding partner that has Avid 5's and he went with them because they are suppose to be better, well he is having issues with them. I would almost rather stick with V-brakes!!
    No way that the brakes will take a bike of my wishlist because of the brakes they can be replaced when starts to fail but never buy Avid and I would buy any shimano hydraulic system before coming back to v-brakes those damage the rim on the long term

mtbr member
    Shimano BR-M445 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop the ones that you need are those... are good, cheap, long very long lasting and good quality

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Spend a little more and get the Deore, SLX or XT. Highly doubt that the M445 is on par with the M596, M666/675, M775/785 in terms of build and braking power.

My M775's are a big step up from my tektro mechanicals, which squealed and had terrible modulation.

mtbr member
    What I don't understand is why these bike companies want to scrimp on what I consider a safety component? I'm saving and saving for a new bike and for what you pay for these bikes these days, I feel they should come with top quality brakes. I know I won't have money left over to replace brake components. Our local bike shop guys like Shimano, they aren't to impressed with Avid. Specialized seems to love Avid (which I hear is owned by SRAM).

mtbr member
    Couple of things: 1) Why do you want to get rid of the mechanical disc brakes? What are they not doing for you?
    2) Take the Avid hate with a grain of salt. For some people they work fine. Others seem to have problems. I've been running them for years with zero problems. And I repeat my offer to anyone who hates their Avids, I'd be happy to pay shipping for you to send them to me, since they're such crap.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Shimano XTR, worth every penny.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What I don't understand is why these bike companies want to scrimp on what I consider a safety component? I'm saving and saving for a new bike and for what you pay for these bikes these days, I feel they should come with top quality brakes. I know I won't have money left over to replace brake components. Our local bike shop guys like Shimano, they aren't to impressed with Avid. Specialized seems to love Avid (which I hear is owned by SRAM).
    specialized switched to magura this year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag Brah View Post
    Spend a little more and get the Deore, SLX or XT. Highly doubt that the M445 is on par with the M596, M666/675, M775/785 in terms of build and braking power.

My M775's are a big step up from my tektro mechanicals, which squealed and had terrible modulation.
    I have worked with most of the shimanos and they are very well build they brake very good but dont have as much braking power. In quality they arent cheap made.
    But I wouldnt mind (if got the money) for going for the XT brakes just because of the levers.
    But for what the OP wants the M445 is just enough they never have disappointed me.

mtbr member
    yes they are from sram and you got a point and you have reason on that

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Couple of things: 1) Why do you want to get rid of the mechanical disc brakes? What are they not doing for you?
    2) Take the Avid hate with a grain of salt. For some people they work fine. Others seem to have problems. I've been running them for years with zero problems. And I repeat my offer to anyone who hates their Avids, I'd be happy to pay shipping for you to send them to me, since they're such crap.
    Basically, when I need to stop on a downhill run, they take waaaaay too long to stop!

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Shimano is really cool

I was looking at my XTR caliper when I was doing a bleed on the brake and it's all very well made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRchris1996 View Post
    Shimano BR-M445 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop the ones that you need are those... are good, cheap, long very long lasting and good quality
    I have a set of these (M446's) with rotors, 6 bolt, I am not using these since I up graded to finned XT's with Ice Tech's, they work fine and I would just about give them away if you need these.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert