Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

    Which hydraulic brakes?

    I've got a 2010 Specialized P.1 All Mountain Disc and the stock brakes are ok, but after riding my friends bike with hydraulic brakes, I see what I'm missing.

    That being said which brakes would be a good upgrade for my bike? I'd say my budget is about $200-$250

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tjbierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    I just got these:

    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...w-Adapters.htm

    Not sure if they are a great deal, but for $134 a side you get levers, calipers, discs and adapters.

    What brakes does your friend have?

    Todd

  3. #3
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32
    They're Shimano's & the only kind of model # I can find is on the caliper: BR-M486

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tjbierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    The XT M775's I got at Bluesky were $281 shipped. They are not retail box, but that didn't matter to me. They come pre-bled and the lengths were good for me. Actually, the rear is a tad too long but I don't want to mess with cutting it. Anyhow, they are duck soup to put on and many people agree they are great brakes. If you liked your friends, you will love these.

    Todd

  5. #5
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32
    what makes them so good if you don't mind me asking? And do I need any special tools to put them on or just a good supply of allen wrenches

  6. #6
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JonathanGennick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,851
    Quote Originally Posted by sdy284
    Jenson has them on sale for a much better price.

    I've no experience w/them myself. A friend runs them though. He put them on to replace his howling & shuddering Avids. He hasn't complained about his brakes since mounting the Hayes. I guess that's a good sign.

  8. #8
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    For $69 each, you cannot go wrong with these.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kaging+09.aspx

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tjbierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by sdy284
    what makes them so good if you don't mind me asking? And do I need any special tools to put them on or just a good supply of allen wrenches
    As long as the hose lengths will work, all you need are allen wrenches. I think a torx wrench was needed for the rotors bolts, though.

    Like most things you can buy for your bike, everybody has a different opinion. When I read this forum, it just seemed to me the XT M775's were universally accepted as great brakes for a decent price.

    I just put them on, so I can't speak to long term use yet, but so far so good.

    Todd

  10. #10
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    I've got a pair of those (from Jenson). Good modulation, so-so power. In fact, probably similar to the BB7s which I used to have. Nice lever ergronomics, crappy lever design (the lever bends easily as it has low cross-sectional strength). If you want cheap hydros for the sake of having hydros, they are the way to go.


    Edited for spelling.
    Last edited by womble; 04-12-2010 at 08:36 AM.

  11. #11
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    I've got a pair of those (from Jenson). Good modulation, so-so power. In fact, probably similar to the BB7s which I used to have. Nice lever ergronimics, crappy lever design (it bends easily as it has low cross-sectional strength). If you want cheap hydros for the sake of having hydros, they are the way to go.
    Are you sure you bought the Stroker Trail, and not one of the other Stroker models? I have never heard someone describe them as so-so power. Maybe you need to bleed them?

  12. #12
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by sdy284
    They're Shimano's & the only kind of model # I can find is on the caliper: BR-M486
    According to the link on the Specialized site your bike came with Avid BB5 brakes.

  13. #13
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    Yeah, Stroker Trails. They're slightly weaker than my Hope Mono Minis, inline with my BB7s. They're not bad, nor are they notably powerful. Running stock pads.

    Set up by my LBS, I haven't bled them myself, nor is it a big enough deal for me to worry about.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tjbierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by 24v
    According to the link on the Specialized site your bike came with Avid BB5 brakes.
    I had asked him what his friends brakes were that he liked.

    Todd

  15. #15
    mtbr member extraordinair
    Reputation: Stupendous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    920
    I just put some of the stoker trails on my Kona AM rig to replace the shimanos I have had for 7 years. At first they sucked...but they were brand new and not broken in.

    After a couple of "real world" uses on my favorite 12 mile trail, they are working awesome. One finger modulation and stopping power even on the steepest downhills with 200lbs+ pushing against them.

    I got them at Jenson USA. The price is right...get them.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

  16. #16
    24v
    24v is offline
    Scratch That Itch
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    375
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbierman
    I had asked him what his friends brakes were that he liked.

    Todd



    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    I just put some of the stoker trails on my Kona AM rig to replace the shimanos I have had for 7 years. At first they sucked...but they were brand new and not broken in.

    After a couple of "real world" uses on my favorite 12 mile trail, they are working awesome. One finger modulation and stopping power even on the steepest downhills with 200lbs+ pushing against them.

    I got them at Jenson USA. The price is right...get them.
    I noticed the same thing with my Stroker Aces. At first I thought I wasted my money. After the second ride, they are very powerful. The pads definitely need time to bed properly.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tjbierman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    20
    Love the pict!.

    Todd

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Note if you get the Strokers and they aren't quiet there are a number of fixes listed on this board including trimming the pads a little or coating the backing plates.

  19. #19
    Undercaffienated
    Reputation: hmorsi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    281
    I have the Stroker Trails. Took a few rides to break them in and a few adjustments to get everything running rub free. Now that they're set-up properly, the run quiet and offer excellent power and good modulation for my needs. I also think they look very nice and like the lever design.

    One more thing: I think Hayes has some of the best customer service in the industry. They respond fast, address the problem concisely and will promptly send you parts to fix your problem.

    P.S. I ride in a very dry climate so can't speak about how they perform in wet conditions.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    517

    Budget brakes

    The best budget brakes to look for are the Shimano Deore and Formila close outs on K18 or K24's.
    Testing by British magazine, Mountain Biking did one of the best brake reviews that I have seen. The Formula One's and R1's crushed the competition. The Shimano Deore's surprised no One who works in a bike store and they tested excellent in performance.
    The discontinued "K" series of "Oro" brakes may be available for a song and they would be a treat for you.
    Cheers

    Kane
    Last edited by zkampyman; 04-14-2010 at 10:31 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    631
    Quote Originally Posted by tjbierman
    The XT M775's I got at Bluesky were $281 shipped. They are not retail box, but that didn't matter to me. They come pre-bled and the lengths were good for me. Actually, the rear is a tad too long but I don't want to mess with cutting it. Anyhow, they are duck soup to put on and many people agree they are great brakes. If you liked your friends, you will love these.

    Todd

    I was thinking about getting BB7 but these seem to be a very interesting. DO I have to buy a separate kit to bleed these? DO they require a lot adjustments? I am a noob.

    Thanks!

  22. #22
    mtbr member extraordinair
    Reputation: Stupendous Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    920
    Quote Originally Posted by zkampyman
    The best budget brakes to look for are the Shimano Deore and Formila close outs on K18 or K24's.
    Testing by British magazine, Mountain Biking did one of the best brake reviews that I have seen. The Formula One's and R1's crushed the competition. The Shimano Deore's surprised no One who works in a bike store and they tested excellent in performance.
    The discontinued "K" series of "Oro" brakes may be available le for a song and the nwould be. a treat for you.
    Cheers

    Kane

    I can attest the quality and longevity of the Shimano Deores. I used and abused them on my last Kona for 7+ years. They never once let me down. I still use them on another bike now.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

  23. #23
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...07&category=24

    is it possible to use those with my existing rotors? and i know this is silly, but i'm looking for something white & not black or grey, so thats why i keep going back to the trails

    edit: although after reading this: http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/hayes-stroker-trail-squeek-405214-3.html#post4365459 it seems the strokers may not be the best idea..
    Last edited by sdy284; 04-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.

  24. #24
    Mr. Staypuft
    Reputation: sdy284's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    32
    bump

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dman624's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    I bought the white Hayes trail brakes for my black cannondale trail sl f5 and really like them. I also really wanted white brakes, and a deal, so I purchased them from JensonUSA for 69.99 a side. Mine are quiet, and I can say that after it started raining on my trip down from 2300 ft up in 3.5 miles, my rainy downhill descent went just fine. I was worried about the water with the brakes and it wasn't an issue at all. I say pull the trigger on the white Hayes, I am happy with mine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •