mtbr member

Hydraulic brake trouble

Ok, my brake lever almost touches the handlebar before I get any clamping force from my (front Shimano) hydraulic brake, and there's a little bit of oil coming from my left brake lever. What's up?? Can I fix this, or, should I let my LBS look it over?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Sounds like there is a leak in your hydraulic system (seems like the lever). Because of the leak, there is not enough fluid in your line to push the pads with the normal lever action and now requires more lever to compensate for the lack of fluid.

Telling Your Future
    Most likely this is a bad master cylinder. You'll prolly need your LBS to replace the master cylinder. I dunno how serviceable Shimano disc brakes are. Hope that the Shimano disc brakes are more serviceable than their derailleurs. You might be better off buying a new caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by awai04
    Ok, my brake lever almost touches the handlebar before I get any clamping force from my (front Shimano) hydraulic brake, and there's a little bit of oil coming from my left brake lever. What's up?? Can I fix this, or, should I let my LBS look it over?
    <<<Yawn.>>>

Chrome Toaster
    There's too little fluid and possibly air in the line. Thats where the lever reach problem comes from. Where specifically is the oil leaking from? Sounds like most likely the rubber bladder that acts as the lever lid seal is pinched or cracked or was not set correctly when the lid was closed. If thats the case, contrary to popular belief that small part and many others are easily availbale through the QBP catalogue and should cost around $5.

mtbr member

Hey thanks for the replies

I agree with you guys; there's probably a leak somewhere. I'll probably bring the bike to my LBS just to check it out. Just an aside, but I do store the bike upright (vertical, with the front wheel towards the ceiling). Any relation to the way the bike's stored?? I sometimes wonder...