mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Hydraulic brake line Y or T fittings?

Does anyone know where to find a fitting for splitting a hydraulic hose from one into two? I have checked all over my town and no one works with hydraulics this small. I am trying to run two 8" hayes hfx9's with one brake lever. Right now I am just trying to figure out the plumbing and then trouble shoot weather or not the lever will be able to push enough volume to actuate both calipers. Any info on the lines for Hayes would be great like, ID, OD fitting sizes, thread pitches etc. I am trying to google and find these out but it is pretty time consuming.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Try swagelock fittings

mtbr member
    Try McMaster Carr online. They have EVERYTHING.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey thanks for the quick replies guys, I'm searching through these sites does anyone have any idea what kind of thread sizes are used for these hydro brakes?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So you are trying to brake both the front and rear wheels with one lever? If so, you are loosing a lot of the control that comes with individualy braking wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No I am building a bike car (four wheels) and want discs on each wheel so one lever does the rear (two calipers), and one lever does the front (two calipers). I don't want to go the wire disc brake route because I have seen one similar to what I am building and it had four wire discs but they weren't strong enough to stop the thing on certain downhills when they weren't even going that fast plus that fact that I have four brand new 8" hayes sitting in my garage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    running 1 lever to 2 calipers will cut power in half to each caliper and the lever may just bottom out before the pads hit the rotor. better to design something that actuates 2 levers at the same time.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do you also have 4 lever sets? I agree with reptilezs, I think you'll bottom out the levers before you get any power. To put it another way, when you split the hose, you can only move 1/2 the amount of fluid in each hose, and consequently only move the pistons ~1/2 way.

If you have 4 lever sets, could you modify them or your mount in some way that you could pull them at the same time?

sounds like a cool project!

mtbr member
    You could also franken-brake something together - a master cylinder that pushes a large volume of fluid (think Gustav) pushing a pair of small volulme calipers (maybe martas?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wilonpill
    So you are trying to brake both the front and rear wheels with one lever? If so, you are loosing a lot of the control that comes with individualy braking wheels.
    hmmm. insightful comment

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    or franken something like a motorbike master cylinder onto the hayes calipers. that might be a bit more realistic. I know the lever on my sportsbike actuates both front disks (one on either side of the wheel) from the one master cylinder.

you could also maybe think about doing something awesome like instead of connecting the two front brakes to one lever and the two rear brakes to the other - you could connect the two left wheels to one lever and the two right wheels to the other. get some crazy skid steer happening.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks for the replies guys, I think I will end up using for levers total and one per each disc and go with some way to actuate two with one lever.

Cheers!

ballbuster

Maybe check with the...

Quote Originally Posted by FinnO
    Does anyone know where to find a fitting for splitting a hydraulic hose from one into two? I have checked all over my town and no one works with hydraulics this small. I am trying to run two 8" hayes hfx9's with one brake lever. Right now I am just trying to figure out the plumbing and then trouble shoot weather or not the lever will be able to push enough volume to actuate both calipers. Any info on the lines for Hayes would be great like, ID, OD fitting sizes, thread pitches etc. I am trying to google and find these out but it is pretty time consuming.

Thanks in advance!
    ... folks who build downhill off road wheelchairs. I think this is an issue they probably solved already.

Maybe try searching here:

http://www.apparelyzed.com/support/s...ir_sports.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoot2boot

you could also maybe think about doing something awesome like instead of connecting the two front brakes to one lever and the two rear brakes to the other - you could connect the two left wheels to one lever and the two right wheels to the other. get some crazy skid steer happening.
    Just for grins. On each hand mount two levers close together whereby you are actuating two levers with one hand. Think of two brake levers mounted side-by-side so that your fingers can wrap around both levers at the same time. One of the levers on each hand would actuate the front wheel on the same side as the corresponding hand. The other of the two levers of each hand would actuate the rear wheel on that side.

Imagine coming down the hill, 4 36" tires and you wrapped up in a carbon fiber cocoon.
    No pedals of course, just a real steep hill.

Could anyone figure out how to use it?

(Or maybe not, it could just be the beer thinking out loud.)
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    Wow................
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    From the link:

Wheelchair Jousting with Cattle Prods
    This video clip was filmed for JackAss, so don't blame us!

The guys in the video were part of the USA Quad Rugby team, and the guy in the background is Mark Zupan, the captain of the team, and the guy who starred in the film Murderball.

Wheelchair Jousting Video>>>

****ing lol.