mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hydraulic brake hose, what's the deal, why expensive?

I need about 5 feet of hose for my Magura brakes, so I start to look. It seems the no LBS or online retailer will sell me 5 foot of hose, they all offer "hose kits" for $35-60 which come with all the fittings. I've had a little experience with hydraulic equipment and hose manufacturing and I have to say that even really nice very large hydraulic hose shouldn't run over $5 a foot, even Kevlar reinforced 20,000 psi stuff.

Any input here would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

PS: Isn't most of the hose on MTB brakes the same anyway, in other words, wouldn't all brands of brakes with the same outer diameter hose fit each other?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tolleyman
    I need about 5 feet of hose for my Magura brakes, so I start to look. It seems the no LBS or online retailer will sell me 5 foot of hose, they all offer "hose kits" for $35-60 which come with all the fittings. I've had a little experience with hydraulic equipment and hose manufacturing and I have to say that even really nice very large hydraulic hose shouldn't run over $5 a foot, even Kevlar reinforced 20,000 psi stuff.

Any input here would be appreciated. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

PS: Isn't most of the hose on MTB brakes the same anyway, in other words, wouldn't all brands of brakes with the same outer diameter hose fit each other?
    because they know you'll pay for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You can get goodridge hose by the meter on www.chainreationcycles.com without any fittings.

...idios...
    It's a bad link, uncle-mofo. Check your spelling....

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    It's a bad link, uncle-mofo. Check your spelling....
    Here's the Hose per meter
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=2938

Here's the kit for Magura brakes
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=2946