mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hydraulic brake hose patch?

A couple of years ago I got a kink in my hayes sole brake hose. It has lasted quite a while without any problems but just recently sprung a leak. I was wondering if anyone has ever patched a brake line with say JB weld or something similar? I know I should just get a replacement, but before I spend $30 I wanted to see if I could jury rig it and keep it working for a while longer. Any thoughts or suggestions (besides buy a new brake-believe me I know the sole is a horrible brake, but hey, I'm poor!).
    Don't judge a man til you've walked a mile in his shoes...After that, who cares, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes.

mtbr member
    If it's in front, definitely get a new hose - you're life and limb may depend on it.

Alternatively, you could try to seal the hole with lots of rubber cement, chalk, or RTV. You should also tie a whole bunch of rubber bands around the patch to reinforce it. JB weld probably wouldn't work because it isn't flexible like the hose and would likely come off given time.

*disclaimer* This will only work if your sealant can't be eaten away by Dot fluid. I do not know the properties of rubber cement, chalk, or RTV. I think RTV would work best *disclaimer* Perhaps it would behove you to test this. In any case, replacing the hose is advisable.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Replace the line before you are "broke" in other ways.