mtbr member

Hub/Brake/Rotor Compatibility Question

I'm getting together a parts list for another build for this winter/spring and am looking for some opinions on my brake concerns. My original build plan was Hope hubs, Avid BB7 brakes with 180mm HS1 rotors...that's gonna be a little expensive for me, though, and I'd be perfectly happy with something a little less pricey. I'm a big fan of Shimano SLX hubs for their reliability, durability and rebuildability. I've got an SLX hub on the back of my singlespeed as a replacement for my old hub that I destroyed. I'm just not a fan of Centerlock, my 6-bolt adapter has been a pain, and I've read a lot about Centerlock rotors having play in them. I'm thinking I could go with SLX hubs, BB7 calipers and pick up some SLX or XT Icetech rotors to save some money. Talk me into Centerlock. I ended up using some grease on the Centerlock splines and a larger diameter lockring with loctite on it to finally keep my rear rotor from rocking back and forth on the hub during technical braking. Will I have the same issues with, say, SLX hubs and SLX rotors?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    Any input on the differences between the HS1 and SLX rotors would be great, too. Is one better than the other in any way? Opinions? Thanks
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...