Stupid is, as stupid does

New question here. How to trim Formula hydraulic brake lines?????

So I have a set of Formula R1's and I need to cut the lines down a bit. The brakes came with the fittings to remount the lines. I have read the instructions quite a few times. I am looking for tips, advice, and experience? I do have a few questions. Formula specifies using a special tool to cut the lines. Is it necessary. Should I use my cable housing cutter (Which is 10 years old and a generic model) or should I use a razor blade?, Do I need to bleed the brakes before or after?
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

Moosehead
    Your cable cutter should be fine if it isn't worn out. Then reopen/clear the tube with an awl or penpoint before fittings go on.

The compression fitting that screws into the banjo goes onto the brake line first, then the compression collar, then the plunger/barb goes into the tube opening. The new plunger/barb goes into the opening and should be flush to the tube opening, note it may take a little silicon grease and some careful elbow grease to get it seated down properly onto the tube. Lastly, press the banjo fitting down onto the plunger/tube and screw the fittings together to to correct torque. Should be secure and fit assembly when done. Cut end attaches to MC/lever end.

Bleed next. This forum has good info with a search, and Formula USA/Chris is happy to help talk you through it if needed.

EDIT: My bad OP, above is for the Oros, the R1 fittings look a bit different.
    Last edited by moosehead; 04-23-2010 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Just put R1's on my bike and cut both lines. It's very easy! Just use a razor blade. The cut will be much cleaner than if you try using housing cutters. Once you cut the line, slide the new olive (compression fitting) on, and insert the barbed fitting into the hose end. Push the barbed fitting all the way onto the hose. Insert the end of the hose into the lever and tighten the compression nut. You should bleed the brakes once done, but honestly, I haven't bled mine yet and they are working fine. I will bleed them at some point just for good measure.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

Picture Unrelated
    A razor blade will give you the best end, if you have both available, I would use a razor over the cable cutters.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Will be trimming mine soon. Thanks for the info!

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Just put R1's on my bike and cut both lines. It's very easy! Just use a razor blade. The cut will be much cleaner than if you try using housing cutters. Once you cut the line, slide the new olive (compression fitting) on, and insert the barbed fitting into the hose end. Push the barbed fitting all the way onto the hose. Insert the end of the hose into the lever and tighten the compression nut. You should bleed the brakes once done, but honestly, I haven't bled mine yet and they are working fine. I will bleed them at some point just for good measure.

I did call Formula and him walk me through it once as well. Sounds straight forward. Thanks for the help.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked