Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to Replace my Disc Brakes...Newb needs help

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mondoman1 
#1 ·
Alright.
So I am replacing my Hayes GX2 disc brakes with Avid BB7s. On a 2006 Giant Yukon.

I am asking about compatibility/ease of installation....not performance.

If I buy the 185/160 set, is there anything else I need to buy for my bike? Any adapters to raise the brake system to the hight of the rotor?

Will I be able to simply unbold the braking system and disc while leaving the cables in place and go from there in setting up the brakes?

Should I replace the cables for some reason?(2 years of riding often)

Any advice or things I am not considering(I am getting the new brakes, but what do I need to know about when changing them?

Thanks for helping the newb..

#2 ·
Installing Avids are fairly simple, but follow the instructions carefully (there's an Avid instructional video featuring Greg Herbold if you're into video instructions). Minimal tools are needed, a 5 mm allen wrench and a T25 torx wrench, pretty sure Avid still includes a miniature T25 wrench with the brakes but not sure (I use socket style on both the allen and torx so I can use my torque wrench). They should come with appropriate adapters for each rotor size but you might want to look at the content of the kit for the front brake as some are for post mounts, some for IS mounts. I'd replace the cable and housing, especially at 2 years old.

#3 ·
JonathanD said:
Alright.
So I am replacing my Hayes GX2 disc brakes with Avid BB7s. On a 2006 Giant Yukon.

Any advice or things I am not considering(I am getting the new brakes, but what do I need to know about when changing them?

Thanks for helping the newb..
You need to get a hydraulic brake. Get a Formula K17 or a Shimano Deore on the budget end. You'll thank me later. Hydraulic is about seven stages ahead of cable disc brakes.

Cheers,

Kane

#5 ·
I did the same swap on my 06 Yukon. Massive improvement. Then I swapped the housing for some Jagwire Ripcords, brakes feel amazing. I don't feel any need to get hydros. Swapping the brakes is really easy too, just unbolt the old adapter from the frame, bolt the new one (brakes are already attached to them) on, swap the cable over, take up cable slack. And yes, they do still include the little torx thingy in the BB7 boxes.

#7 ·
Just fresh housing will make a difference, but a nice "compression-less" housing will make a bigger difference. I would run full-length housing.

The BB7s are terrific mechanicals, the performance is on par with or better than many entry level discs (Deore, Hayes HFX, etc).

If you get the brakes new, it should come with the proper adapters and rotors. You can use the levers you have now. I would suggest new cables and housing. Grit and grime can get in the housing. More friction is going to result in a poopy feel.

The Park Tools repair section has a nice write-up on setting up the BB7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.