mtbr member

how to remove Hayes9 Hydro

I just bought a 2nd bike to make into a single speed but I want the brakes off of this new one for my main ride. So I plan on swapping the brakes but I need to remove the hose from the caliper as the line goes through the frame.
    It seems easy enough, just want to check in here.
    I should just be able to remove the caliper from the frame, drop it into a bucket for the fluid then undo the nut at the end of the hose as it connects to the caliper and let the fluid drain out. Bag the end of the line and then rerun the line on the new bike and reattach it.
    I'll bring it into the shop to bleed it as I don't have a bleed kit, I just want to save some money in the removal process.
    Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You will need a new compression bushing. The line will have to be cut above the old bushing to get the old bushing off.

The cleanest way to get the fluid out is to use some aquarium tubing- put it on the bleed screw, remove the bleed screw from the lever, open the bleed screw at the caliper and let the fluid drain out- remember to keep painted surfaces covered since DOT brake fluid will remove paint. You can then loosen the compression nut and remove the line- you will then see why the compression bushing has to be cut off.

Also remove the brake pads so that they do not get contaminated with brake fluid.
    I bike; therefore, I work