mtbr member
    Nov 2006

How often should you bleed and replace the fluid in your Avid J5s?

I've got an 06 Spec. SJ that came with Avid J5s on it.

They've been working great minus the squeals hahah. But the mileage on the bike is beginning to add up. I'm wondering, what is the average km before you should do a maintenance bleed on the J5s?

Also does anyone have a DIY manual on how to bleed the J5s as i don't particularly want to fork over approx 35 bucks to the LBS for 2 syringes and oil really. That's just way overpriced.

Meh.
    You MUST have the bleed kit to bleed the Juicy brakes. The syringes have fittings that thread into the lever and caliper.

If you notice no issues with fading or squishiness then I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I prefer to bleed my brakes at least once a year.

Still learning
    Dec 2006
    Milage will of course vary depending on how heavy you are on the brakes and how often you ride. If you're boiling them once a week, then you'd want to replace the fluid pretty regularly.
    Rule of thumb, for the amount of riding I do on my XC bike (~80km/week as an average), about every 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by tom2304
    Yep farkin.net is mostly immature kids asking how to put dual crown forks on hardtails and such.

mtbr member
    As long as you don't open the system, there's no moisture or air getting in, so it should be fine indefinetly. I have a bike w/ hopes that hasn't been bled since the day they were installed (9 years ago). They can still throw you over the bars, and they're not mushy.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by response3
    As long as you don't open the system, there's no moisture or air getting in, so it should be fine indefinetly. I have a bike w/ hopes that hasn't been bled since the day they were installed (9 years ago). They can still throw you over the bars, and they're not mushy.
    In theory... but in real life, that's not true.

DOT fluid that has absorbed water can still function properly and throw you over the bars... but it has a lower boiling point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by response3
    That's true with mineral oil based systems because mineral oil doesn't absorb water. DOT fluid systems will absorb water regardless. You may not notice a performance if you unless you ride extended downhills.

mtbr member
    Well from my experience, my brand new Juicy 5 had to be bled brand new out of the box. Because apparently they weren't bled correctly coming out of the factory.

mtbr member
    How do you know they need to be bled? Especially right out of the box?
    I've never owned a pair myself, I've been riding mechanical...
    What happens in Vegas....I brag about for years....

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by power-san
    Usually it will feel spongy, not very responsive.

Brake fluid should be replaced once a year if used allot or at least every 2 years.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    so my front juicy seven feels very sharp but the rear a little spongy but not bad at all just a lil but it does not have the sharp feel of the front. can this be due to longer cable running to the rear gives it a lil more spongyness or do i need to bleed it. i just put them on today and i bought them new so i am guessing they should be good to go. but the rear is def a little spongyer than the front.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by v10isez
    so my front juicy seven feels very sharp but the rear a little spongy but not bad at all just a lil but it does not have the sharp feel of the front. can this be due to longer cable running to the rear gives it a lil more spongyness or do i need to bleed it. i just put them on today and i bought them new so i am guessing they should be good to go. but the rear is def a little spongyer than the front.
    The length of hose does effect the power but it should be so slight that it's almost not noticeable. Unfortunately even brand new needs a bleed sometimes. If you feel the rear should be a little better it probably needs some attention.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ya i figure it needs a bleed cause i can bring the lever back and touch the grip and on the front brake it's no chance i can do that. damn lol

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by v10isez
    ya i figure it needs a bleed cause i can bring the lever back and touch the grip and on the front brake it's no chance i can do that. damn lol
    Thats more than a little difference.
    Formotion Products

neutiquam erro
    Quote Originally Posted by power-san
    I bleed my brand new brake sets. One, you may be (probably ought to be) cutting hose length and doing other tweaks as part of the install, so then you'll clearly need a bleed. Two, you know it's done right if you do it yourself. No such promises from the automated factory builds. Meh, maybe that second part is giving some people too much credit, but at some point, you really should to learn how to properly bleed your own brakes. Might as well go ugly early! And, in most cases, just fork over the cash for a real bleed kit specific to your brake set. It's worth it. If you want to satisfy your inner-MacGyver, go fashion a homebrew headset press, not a bleed kit.

Cheers, Chris
    [SIZE=2]Now is the time on Sprockets when we hammer.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]'05 Blur Classic (1x9) || '06 SIR9 (SS) || '06 Brompton P6L[/SIZE]

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    I bleed my brand new brake sets. One, you may be (probably ought to be) cutting hose length and doing other tweaks as part of the install, so then you'll clearly need a bleed. Two, you know it's done right if you do it yourself. No such promises from the automated factory builds. Meh, maybe that second part is giving some people too much credit, but at some point, you really should to learn how to properly bleed your own brakes. Might as well go ugly early! And, in most cases, just fork over the cash for a real bleed kit specific to your brake set. It's worth it. If you want to satisfy your inner-MacGyver, go fashion a homebrew headset press, not a bleed kit.

Cheers, Chris
    Bravo. Well said.

Another reason I rebleed my brakes is because I can then use a fresh bottle of my fluid of choice.