cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

How often do you experience rotor drag/bent rotors?

Hey all,
    I am fairly new to disc brakes and am asking how often you need to true/straighten your rotors or recenter your calipers? I am running avid 160fr/140rr rotors on Formula K24's. They have been aces thus far and am really enjoying them, however my front rotor developed a left side drag after a big ride in tahoe recently. I cant figure out if I bumped my caliper on the ground during a break, or it shifted or my rotor came out of true. They sure seem fragile and the tolerances are so tight it wouldnt take much for it to get knocked out...any thoughts? Anyone else have to make some adjustments every so often?

I'd suspect your rotor warped a bit more than your caliper moved (unless it wasn't tightened down correctly in the first place). Look down at the rotor as it goes through the caliper and sight between the pads, should be obvious if the caliper is twisted or if the rotor has a hop in it. I need to true up a rotor once in a while, but not often.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

nnn
    mtbr member
    180 XT 4 pot here and after initial setup and truing it's been going straight for about 1000 trail miles so far.
    My old Avid 203mm was a bit more finicky, needed some straightening every now and then, but not very often at all.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hmm..wonder what I did then. Seems out of the ordinary. I will recenter and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by cbx
    Hmm..wonder what I did then. Seems out of the ordinary. I will recenter and see what happens.
    It's not always a question of what you did. I've had warped rotors JRA. Having extremes of heat and cold probably contribute (e.g. lots of braking and a water crossing). Do you know how to true your rotor?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

cbx
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I have a "cool tool" with a built in crescent wrench...been using that to give the rotor a little wiggle here and there. Doesnt seem to take much to get that thing to bend a bit...hence the reason for my post. They seem fragile and an open target if you lay your bike down on uneven ground during a break.

I ran the rotor through the caliper while sighting down the pads...I do have some deviation but after a while, I got it "good enough" and couldnt get it razor straight.