Got Trails?

How often do you change your brake pads?

I have Avid BB7 mechanical brakes with pads that are about 3yrs old. Just wondering what the normal wear life is on pads. They seem to brake good still but I have no idea when I should change them out?

Thanks
    I Fear No Beer

LightJunction.com
    Depends on how often you ride and how much you use the brakes. You can check the pad wear by looking at the pads and comparing them to a new pair. You shouldn't need to pull the wheel out or remove the pads to do this.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Got Trails?
    I used to ride 2-4 times a week now I am lucky to get out twice a week. I might just buy a new pair anyway
    I Fear No Beer

Grams Light Bikes
    Usually they'll start to make some noise or the lever throw gets real long. The worst is to wait until the pads rivets are coming through, and they'll tear up your rotors! Just get a new pair, it has been a long time. I ride a lot, and and am big brake user, so I go through pads every couple of months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1 View Post
    I have Avid BB7 mechanical brakes with pads that are about 3yrs old. Just wondering what the normal wear life is on pads. They seem to brake good still but I have no idea when I should change them out?

Thanks
    Straight from the Avid setup guide, "A pad should be replaced when it's total thickness (backing plate and friction material) is less than 3mm."

Pretty simple really. You can check this with the pads in the caliper by removing the wheel and using a machinists rule, but it's not the most accurate. Using a caliper with the brake pad removed is the most accurate obviously.

Personally I usually remove the pads, clean and inspect the calipers, etc., at least once a season. At that time I check pad thickness and condition. If the pads are more than 3mm they go back in. If 3mm or less, or they chipped, gouged or otherwise damaged they get replaced.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My tale of woe...

Got a new bike 8 months ago and been riding moderately, once or twice a week.

Recently I did one of those "epic" rides of 25+ miles, mostly DH.

Half hour in, one brake started making grinding noises, but I had no choice but to complete the point to point ride.

When I disassembled it at home, I found 3 pads that were well worn but still intact. He fourth was into the metal. In fact, it scored the hell out of the rotor.

Seems that the one pad wore out because the clip that was supposed to keep it away from the rotor had broken.

From now on, I'll be checking regularly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    2x a season

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    every four months for me on a rocky trail riding, xtr disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I ride a few days a week and change my Hayes Stroker pads about once a season.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I never changed my BB7 pads. They have been swapped over to the SS now that I picked up some XT brakes. I had the LBS check them not too long ago and they said they were fine. I guess riding in FL keeps down the wear on brake pads. I would rather have the downhills and go through a few set a year.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Got Trails?
    I am earching for a good set of pads to replace them with but I cant make my mind up. I want soemthing good but not crazy in price.
    I Fear No Beer

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just get Avid pads. I don't think the other brands are particularly cheaper.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    EBC Green or Gold
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Most of my pads run for ~1000km of AM riding. My rear Juicy 3 pads from discobrakes held for almost 2500km. My front pads wear faster ( aprox. 2 front for 1 rear).

Original Swisstop green pads that come on the Formula RX lasted only 500km on the front brake (that was the fastest wearing pads that I had). SLX (665) lasted ~1200km (Shimano resin original and semi-metallic from discobrakes), Louise ~1100km (original performance).

Never tried sintered though. Find them loud (but maybe I'll try them on the RX, since people say they brake stronger).
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    My tale of woe...

Seems that the one pad wore out because the clip that was supposed to keep it away from the rotor had broken.

From now on, I'll be checking regularly.
    The clip doesn't move the pads away from the rotor. The seal around the piston does it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    ....The clip doesn't move the pads away from the rotor. The seal around the piston does it.
    I'm going to assume he is referring to mechanicals, not hydros...

Sent using Tapatalk

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Vuco View Post
    The clip doesn't move the pads away from the rotor. The seal around the piston does it.
    yes, the clip does on the BB7's

I go through pads pretty regularly, I do use organic's which are softer and wear out faster but are quieter than Sinister's are. Plus winter/snow riding seems to wear them more also. I was changing them every spring and fall, this yr I blew off the fall change out and they are still going though they are at about the end of their life. Once a yr depending on how much you ride and the type of riding you do is a good basic idea, ut not really necessary if you are riding flatter trails where you're not dragging the brakes constantly. After 3 yrs I'd probably just replace them, cheap insurance.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Got Trails?
    after checking multiple web sites and my local shops I bought new F1 sintered pads. Great reviews and great price. Now I might upgrade the rotors I currently have roudagens.
    I Fear No Beer

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    after checking multiple web sites and my local shops I bought new F1 sintered pads. Great reviews and great price. Now I might upgrade the rotors I currently have roudagens.
    ummm aren't F1's for Formula brakes? not Avid's? or is there a brand i haven't heard of?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ummm aren't F1's for Formula brakes? not Avid's? or is there a brand i haven't heard of?
    they state that they fit avid bb7 and juicy I hope that is the case
    I Fear No Beer

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    they state that they fit avid bb7 and juicy I hope that is the case
    well then they should be good.. hmmm never heard of them... where ya getting from?

Got Trails?
    I found them on a search in these forums.someone posted about them being great brakes for bb7 and at a great price. I bought both front and rear on ebay for $24. Just hope they fit properly.
    I Fear No Beer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post
    I'm going to assume he is referring to mechanicals, not hydros...

Sent using Tapatalk
    You're probably right. I thought he was talking about hydros. My bad.