mtbr member
    Dec 2004

How much work are hydraulics?

Ok, I'm buying an 05' Tassajara, and this will be my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes, and for that matter simply any disc brakes at all. So, what I want to know is how much work are hydraulic brakes vs. mechanical? How often do you have to bleed the brake lines (or whatever they are called)? How often do you have to change the oil within the lines? And, most importantly, how hard will it be to do these tasks? Any and all help is appreciated?

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_99
    Ok, I'm buying an 05' Tassajara, and this will be my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes, and for that matter simply any disc brakes at all. So, what I want to know is how much work are hydraulic brakes vs. mechanical? How often do you have to bleed the brake lines (or whatever they are called)? How often do you have to change the oil within the lines? And, most importantly, how hard will it be to do these tasks? Any and all help is appreciated?

Thanks all.
    I have never had disc breaks, but I read in a mountain biking book, that hydraulic breaks acctually involve less work than mechanical discs, or rim breaks. The book just sait that aside from changing the pads every so often hydraulic disc breaks require no maitnence.

I would think that they would be a lot of work, but that's not what the book said

Old Bald Dude

Not bad at all

Don't let all the horror stories you read on this board scare you.

Maybe, first off trying to get them dialed in so they are centered over and parallel with the rotor may be a bit of a pain. If this is done well, you shouldn't have any troubles with squealing and howling unless it's coming from you. You may want to find a LBS that can face the frame tabs to ensure they are parallel with each other. This will aid in the alignment issue immensely.

Next biggest pain would be the bleeding. Since you are purchasing a complete build, if there is any doubt about the quality of the factory bleed job, have the wrench where you purchased the bike do the initial bleed. You shouldn't have to do it unless you really want to. Once they are bled properly, you will pretty much never have to deal with it again unless you decide to shorten/change the hoses.

As for changing the fluid, I've read differing views in this forum. I would think you can go at least a couple of years between fluid changes. How often do you flush the brake fluid in your car? Maybe, never?

Once aligned and bled, all that remains is changing the pads as they wear. This is a relatively easy task, especially if you follow the manufacture's instructions. If you are nervous about changing them yourself, have your LBS do it while you watch them. Once you see how easy it is, you won't ever have them do it for you.

My recommendation would be to learn all you can about wrenching your own bike. There is nothing like the satisfaction of knowing for sure the job was done right, plus all it will cost you is parts and time. If you get good at it and don't mind working on other's bikes, you'll be surprised at how many friends you will wind up with.

Happy trails.

Chris

Superlight rider in Utah; formerly known as Superlight rider in Japan

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ah, thanks and I appreciate the help. This is good news because I was initially very excited about getting disc brakes, but then after reading some past posts I began to worry that they would become a headache. I now buy with more confidence, thanks for the help.

Give'r or go home!!

Not much

I have a pair of 2001 Hayes Hydros and all I've done is put on one set of new pads. These brakes are on their second bike now as well. There is no routine bleeding or oilchanges!!
    The more you give'r the more fun you have!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Silly me, all the answers and more disguised with such as misleading name as Disc Brake FAQ. I felt rather dumb before reading, but after reading I felt quite enlightned. Once again thank you all, especially those who made the Disc Brake FAQ. It seems my tassajara coming stocked with hydraulic disc brakes in indeed a very good thing. A little about that though, the disc that come with the tassajara, the Hayes Sole XC, has anyone ever heard of these, they're not on the Hayes site. Thanks again.

FredoShizzle
    I think the brakes you're referring to are Hayes SO1E or so1e.
    They are single piston calipers and may not be made anymore.
    Check the Hayes website section where you can download owners manuals. They might have details of the older models listed there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    No, here is the specs. for the 05' tassajara and it definetly says sole not so1e, I've searched Haye's website and there were no matches. So, I sent an email to Hayes and if I get any info. I'll be sure to post it.

I already rode that
    If you ride in the mud be prepared for some front wheel slides! At least I did a few when I went to disc and rode after a rainfall.

FredoShizzle
    No, here is the specs. for the 05' tassajara and it definetly says sole not so1e, I've searched Haye's website and there were no matches. So, I sent an email to Hayes and if I get any info. I'll be sure to post it.
    Just had a look at the Hayes site. Here's a link for the so1e owners manual.
    It looks like sole, but I'm pretty sure that Hayes mean Ess Ohh One Eiee!
    http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/SO...WebEnglish.pdf

Good luck with your new ride!

A wheelist
    Silly me, all the answers and more disguised with such as misleading name as Disc Brake FAQ. I felt rather dumb before reading, but after reading I felt quite enlightned. Once again thank you all, especially those who made the Disc Brake FAQ.
    There, ya feel better now? It's the fear of the unknown isn't it? It's the rumors and innuendo generated by the Incompetent isn't it? I was the instigator of the FAQ and I've had hydraulic disc brakes since '99. I've had quite a few makes and models of brakes in that time and NONE of them have required any maintenance at all. My findings are that disc brakes truly are fit and forget compared to all the messing around that cantillever (Vees are cantilever too) took.

Mike T. (mcm # 717 & FOG)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yes, I do feel much better now. Some of these posts about hydraulic disc brakes and bikes being upside-down and what not are a little discerning, but I feel much better now that they have been debunked. Also, Fredo was definitely right. I went to my lbs today and they had a Tassajara that someone had ordered and the brakes are So1e not sole. A problem that fisher might want to look into on their website. So, thank you all for your help.