Dr. Pepper drinker

New question here. How much more work installing 160mm vs 185mm Avid mech?

I'm considering getting the 185mm front and 160mm rear on my 01 Fuel 90 but not sure if I really need it. I'm guessing the 185 would offer some extra (but maybe not necessary) stopping power but I don't know if it's worth the extra $$ and trouble to get the 185 plus adapters. For those who have have tried the 160s and 185s, how much more does the larger rotor complicate the installation? If it matters, I weigh 180 and ride mostly aggressive xc, fork is the stock Manitou SX-R. Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    I'm considering getting the 185mm front and 160mm rear on my 01 Fuel 90 but not sure if I really need it. I'm guessing the 185 would offer some extra (but maybe not necessary) stopping power but I don't know if it's worth the extra $$ and trouble to get the 185 plus adapters. For those who have have tried the 160s and 185s, how much more does the larger rotor complicate the installation? If it matters, I weigh 180 and ride mostly aggressive xc, fork is the stock Manitou SX-R. Thanks!
    Almost ZERO. Just install the post mount adaptor and bolt on as usual. If you ride long, fast downhills the 185 is worth getting. I use the 185s on both ends on one bike and 185/160 on the other and weigh ~170 lbs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Yeah, what Shiggster says, and it's not just stopping power, it's heat shedding ability of the larger rotor that makes it a winner for extended downhill runs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The installation should be the same for either. Just a little fyi I installed a 6 inch on my xc bike and was extremly unsatisfied with the power. Sold it and went up to the 8 inch and was overwelmed with power. I have heard that with the larger rotor the brakes get a little grabbier but with my Avid Speed Dial lever I seem to be able to adjust it out perfectly for my liking.btw 225 lbs and ride agg. XC and urban. JJ