mtbr member

How much fliud for XT brake hose

I'm putting a new rear hose on my XT brakes and was wondering how much mineral oil I need to get. Will the 50ml bottle be enough for a new hose fitting - if not how much?
    cheers
    Pagey

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    plenty, I reuse the stuff I bleed out
    finish line makes a decent size bottle also

MTBR Demi-God
    Yes, a 50ml bottle ought to be enough for at least the rear one, and it should be able to fill most of the front one as well, if not completely.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

wyrd bi ful rd
    I managed to have a bit left over after bleeding the front and rear. (50ml bottle that is)

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    I managed to have a bit left over after bleeding the front and rear. (50ml bottle that is)
    same experience here... if you don't spill much (filling from the caliper with a syringe), it should be more than plenty for a set of brakes..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One question regarding this, can I use the same fluid that went out of the caliper (mixed with air) trough the hose to the plastic bag, again for other bleed?...I mean can I pute the "used" oil with the fresh one without damaging it?

thanks!
    bye

Quote Originally Posted by fran
    One question regarding this, can I use the same fluid that went out of the caliper (mixed with air) trough the hose to the plastic bag, again for other bleed?...I mean can I pute the "used" oil with the fresh one without damaging it?

thanks!
    bye

if the oil is not very old/dirty, I don't see any problem in reusing/mixing it....

MTBR Demi-God
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    if the oil is not very old/dirty, I don't see any problem in reusing/mixing it....

Agreed, but I have noticed that the "used" oil from the bleed procedure is usually filled with trapped air bubbles. It takes a lot of punching and smacking and shaking and twisting and squeezing and... to get all the air bubbles out and make it worthy enough to put it back in the brake system.

Alright, maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but you get the idea
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Quote Originally Posted by anirban
    Agreed, but I have noticed that the "used" oil from the bleed procedure is usually filled with trapped air bubbles. It takes a lot of punching and smacking and shaking and twisting and squeezing and... to get all the air bubbles out and make it worthy enough to put it back in the brake system.

Alright, maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but you get the idea
    I usually have enough oil, so that I put new in and leave the old one out, so the bubble are evntually released, but you are right, to reuse right away you might need to be careful, but no biggie.... with a syringe on both sides is real easy
    Last edited by crisillo; 01-14-2008 at 11:24 AM.