Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

How to mount Hope M4 disc on Fox F80X

I bought a Hope M4 front disc brake for $20 in perfect working condition, but it doesn't mount to my Fox F80X fork. Is there an adapter for this caliper? The bolt-to-bolt spacing is correct, but the caliper itself does not line up with the rotor. The rotor measures 205mm if that means anything.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20
    I bought a Hope M4 front disc brake for $20 in perfect working condition, but it doesn't mount to my Fox F80X fork. Is there an adapter for this caliper? The bolt-to-bolt spacing is correct, but the caliper itself does not line up with the rotor. The rotor measures 205mm if that means anything.

Thanks.
    You've got one of the reject Hope M4 brakes that got dumped on the market. I'll give you $15 for it.

Seriously though, the Hopes are available in (at least) three different caliper sizes and will determine the size of rotor you can directly use. Check out Hope's website (www.hopetech.com) to see the sizes available, and what corresponding rotor is needed if the caliper is mounted to the front vs. the rear (in general I think a caliper mounted on the front will use a rotor 20mm larger than if the caliper were mounted on the rear).

I would think you could use a generic adapter to move the caliper out for a larger rotor, but you'd need to know what your starting point was.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    How exactly were they rejected? Are they just complete pieces of crap? ...Would I be better off just sticking with my XT V-brakes?

Also, the lever seems to be a rear piece (right-hand) because the master cylinder reservoir is upside down if I mount it on the left. Will there be a problem if I mount it this way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If the caliper if for the rear then the rotor is for the rear as well. You need a front brake for the front.

Feeding your addiction
    How exactly were they rejected? Are they just complete pieces of crap? ...Would I be better off just sticking with my XT V-brakes?

Also, the lever seems to be a rear piece (right-hand) because the master cylinder reservoir is upside down if I mount it on the left. Will there be a problem if I mount it this way?
    You can't run the lever upside down. You also can't run that caliper on the front, that's why it's not working.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    So I think I just got ripped off. I bought it as a front brake system and it came fully assembled with the hose, which is the proper length to mount to the front fork, but who knows what parts were mixed and matched. I think I got a front caliper/rotor/hose, but a rear lever. Iunno.

Bastard.

Oh well, thanks anyway. I may take it to a bike shop so I can be sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    You can't run the lever upside down. You also can't run that caliper on the front, that's why it's not working.
    Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    Not to dispute the desirability to run the levers upside down (a lot more convenient to maintain when they are right-side up), but is it impossible?

If you follow Hope's bleed/fill instructions, you are to overfill the reservoir and then clean up the excess fluid that leaks out when the cover is installed. The cover has a diaphragm that should keep air from entering the lines as the pads wear.

For the MTBrs in the UK, they do run the levers on the opposite side, so if you can sort it out in your own mind of which lever to squeeze, there is no reason not to run it on the right.

mtbr member
    So I think I just got ripped off. I bought it as a front brake system and it came fully assembled with the hose, which is the proper length to mount to the front fork, but who knows what parts were mixed and matched. I think I got a front caliper/rotor/hose, but a rear lever. Iunno.

Bastard.

As mentioned you have bought front brake system ONLY ITS UK SPEC
    here in the UK all bikes have the FRONT BRAKE LEVER mounted on the right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bastard.

While I was joking before, if you can't sort out how to use it on your bike, I'd be happy to give you $20 + shipping for it.