mtbr member
    Jun 2004

How are Magura Louise Brakes?

Looking to upgrade my V-Brakes to Discs and have a chance to buy these for a decent price. Want to know if they are worth it, or am I better off looking at either another model in the Magura line or another product line entirely?

I ride x-country, but want to start to get into doing a few races here and there. I would be doing this for fun, not to get to the front... at least not before the second year.

I have a Yeti Kokopelli that is stock except for my custom wheel build with CK ISO Disc and D/T Swiss rims.

Appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

Larry

Bodhisattva
    They're good. Real good.
    Great power & modulation.
    Best customer service in the business.
    Plus you have the benefit of having the Cult members here if you're ever in need of assistance.
    If racing & pure weight savings is a priority then you may want to look at Marta. They'll save you a few grams but cost a lot more and aren't quite as powerful.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 06-21-2004 at 07:30 PM.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    not too concerned with the weight currently. I need to lose 20#'s before I am worried about the bikes weight.

appreciate the feedback.

Larry

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by spdrcr5
    not too concerned with the weight currently. I need to lose 20#'s before I am worried about the bikes weight.

appreciate the feedback.

Larry
    Just make sure you get the newer 2004 version of the Louise with the one piece calipers and wave rotors. I just replaced a set of Martas with the new Louise XC and they are very nice! It will be a huge upgrade from v-brakes. Much more control.

I would highly recommend finding a shop with a tool to face the disc tabs on your frame and fork to help get everything lined up properly.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    ........you have the benefit of having the Cult members here if you're ever in need of assistance.

Annndddd here is our Cult site.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Just make sure you get the newer 2004 version of the Louise with the one piece calipers and wave rotors. I just replaced a set of Martas with the new Louise XC and they are very nice! It will be a huge upgrade from v-brakes. Much more control.

I would highly recommend finding a shop with a tool to face the disc tabs on your frame and fork to help get everything lined up properly.
    I am looking at getting a set of Louise brakes used... 2003 models, and not the wavy rotors... do both things really make that much difference? How much are Louise's brand new in comparison to Marta's?

Larry

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Annndddd here is our Cult site.

Mike T. (mcm # 717)
    Thanks Mike... I will read through the site and make my decision as to what are the best brakes for me.

What is your feeling on a used set of 2003 Louise's?

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by spdrcr5
    I am looking at getting a set of Louise brakes used... 2003 models, and not the wavy rotors... do both things really make that much difference? How much are Louise's brand new in comparison to Marta's?

Larry
    The Louise are much less than the Martas. I bought mine direct from Magura (MCM deal) but I've seen very good pricing on Louise other places.

You can check with Squeak on performance difference between Louise versions, he replaced older Louise with 2004 Louise FRs.

Bodhisattva
    Still a good brake. That was the year they went from the single piston to the double piston design. Although I have wavy rotors, I don't really buy into the wavy hype aside from them looking cool. Allegedly they clear mud & cool faster but I've noticed no difference.

The big difference from '03 to '04 besides the rotors is that Magura went to a one piece caliper and slightly beefier master. I had 1st generation Louise FR which is essentially the same brake as you are looking at and now I have 2nd gen Louise FR.
    I was plenty happy with my older set and really switched because I'm bored and have a habit of spending large amounts of money on bike parts.

So, in a nutshell, here's my advice:
    I like Magura. I recommend you take a look at the current pricing of Magura products through the better priced shops such as hammerheadbikes & mtnhighcyclery and compare the new price to the used price. If you like the used price & trust the seller then get the used brake and they'll give you many happy days in the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Squeaky...

Appreciate the advice. I also sent you an e-mail.

I will look around at new prices before committing to this used set to see what is out there. I will also stop in at my LBS which matches any prices I find.

Thanks.

Larry

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just checked Hammerhead and they don't list Magura...

Avid
    Formula
    Hayes
    Hope
    Shimano

That is all they list for disk brake kits...

Bodhisattva
    Yeah, I know.
    They don't advertise everything.

Drop him or Larry at Mtnhighcyclery an email. Or better yet, call.

Tricks of the trade..........

mtbr member

I rode the FR models

I rode the previous design Louise FR models.

Very nice brakes. Had plenty of stopping power for chair lift runs in Big Bear.
    No fade. Never had to bleeed. No rubbing pad problems. All in all, I was happy.

But this year's model has been redesigned, so I can't speak for the current flavor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There is a guy that consistantly lists New pairs of '04 louise FRs on ebay with a starting bid of $230 and a BIN of $260. I'm sure he has other models as well.