mtbr member

How loose should the BB7 cable be?

As I was putting my bike on the rack today, I noticed my rear Avid BB7 cable was very loose. It was loose enough to be resting on the top tube. The brakes seemed to be working fine despite the loose cable.

I got it home, turned in the barrel adjuster on the brake lever, released the locking screw on the caliper arm, and pulled the cable as tight as i could with pliers. I tightened the locking screw and gave it a try. They still worked fine but the cable is still pretty loose. It's not touching the top tube any more but it's not nearly as tight as my derailleur cables.

Is this normal for mech brakes or should that cable be fairly tight?

I'm your density
    For starters, there should be no slack in the cable so that when you apply the slightest pressure on the lever, the caliper arm will begin to move.

A couple times a year I go through the process of re-centering my calipers and adjusting my pad distances (regardless of whether the pads need replacing). The instructions here, in the section "Setting up the pad distance on the Avid BB7," includes a method of setting the cable tension so there is no play:

Avid BB7 mini resource - How to set up the Avid BB7
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Thanks. That's a great instruction page!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    In fact, they recommend a full run of outer cable housing (preferably compressionless, ie der 5 mm housing)
    ALso there are adaptors that will allow you to use your cable endstops to hold a full run of cable and casing.

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Looks lke an older thread but perhaps someone can answer a question for me? I have just bought [for me] my dream bike a Surly Disc Trucker, very happy with it except for one issue. How the heck do I take up the slack in the brake cable to reduce lever throw? There is no adjuster on the BB7 caliper, just a rubber grommet each side. The bike is equipped with Tektro RL520 levers. There is no adjustment barrel on the lever either! Go figure. Had bikes all my life, 45 years of my life anyway and never seen a set up that doesn't have cable adjusters. Any ideas??? do I just undo the cable cinch bolt and pull hard?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by banjaboy View Post
    Any ideas??? do I just undo the cable cinch bolt and pull hard?
    Yup. Pretty much the only way without adjusters. Also, with the BB7s, you can dial in or out the pads to get the brake feel you want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's what I figured Dharel, I guess I just ensure the caliper arm is "unloaded" then just reef on the cable end and cinch up the bolt?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by banjaboy View Post
    That's what I figured Dharel, I guess I just ensure the caliper arm is "unloaded" then just reef on the cable end and cinch up the bolt?
    That's pretty much it. You want it so that the caliper arm moves as soon as you pull the brake lever. There should be no slack in the cable or free play in the lever and caliper arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks, really appreciate it, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.