i love snow

how long should a DH brake set last

I am not talking about pads. so far i have gone though hayes 9's, megas, and hope m6's. this is in 2 seasons at northstar (about 70 days) plus some shuttling at auburn. in my experience all brakes feel great to begin with (except the hayes). the megas were like an on/off switch, something i love. but in about 7-10 days it seems like all my brakes begin to lose power, suffer from pump up and i need to start beeding about once every 5-7 days to keeep them ok. the reason i ask is that i just set myself up with a set of codes to replace the formulas and they feel great but just wondering how long they will last.

...idios...
    With respect, if you're cooking brakes as often as you suggest, then it may be your technique you need to change, not your brakes.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If the Codes don't satisfy you, then use Magura Gustavs, after those there is nothing left to try. Not that you will need to though.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try running some high-boiling-point racing brake fluid like Motul RBF600. It will last longer and resist brake pump better. When I was running Hayes Mags on my DH bike, I would bleed them every year or two and they are still running strong on my girlfriend's DH bike (those brakes probably have over 200 days at Whistler by now).

mtbr member
    Is it crazy to start suspecting seals are giving out w/ high temp?

i love snow
    formula suggested that i was using improper braking technique. I don't drag brake. i use brakes heavy going into a corner and let off in the straits (as the trail allows) to let them cool. i switched to the motul brake fluid with the last bleed on my formulas last season. have not had problems yet but have not had it at northstar either. i am just wondering how often other dh's change out seals inside the lever and slave.