mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How long for my new Hopes?

How long to I have to wait before my new hope mini monos start to really work? I just installed them and went for a little 10 mile ride. I then went for a 1 mile down hill paved ride to try and set the brakes, but they still don't feel any stronger than my XTR V's. Did I just spend $170 to add extra weight?
    Let me know.

banned
    Jan 2004

Between the new pad compound and rotors Hope's using...

Quote Originally Posted by piercebrew
    How long to I have to wait before my new hope mini monos start to really work? I just installed them and went for a little 10 mile ride. I then went for a 1 mile down hill paved ride to try and set the brakes, but they still don't feel any stronger than my XTR V's. Did I just spend $170 to add extra weight?
    Let me know.
    ...the break in time may be a bit longer. I've heard a couple dealers say their initial impressions were not good, but give it some time, with Hope you have the option of going to other pads without voiding warranty. Hope may be able to give you proper break in advice if you contact them as well.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Buyer's remorse....

Piercebrew,

This is not an unusual response after the first couple of rides on XC disk brakes. I have the old Mini's and when I first put them on I vividly rememder them not working nearly as well as my old XTRs at first. Like I told you before, they will take a month or two break-in which also includes better braking performace. Also, Hope uses Fibrax brake pad compound. I believe this is a sintered metal compound and takes some time to bed in. They are hard in comparison to some of the EBC compounds out there. Just give them time.

You make a valid observation Piercebrew. One could argue that rim brakes are more powerful than disks because of mechanical advantage....they have much better mechanical leverage when it comes to stopping rotational mass. With disk brakes, they have to stop rotational mass at the axel....this takes much, much more force to per unit energy to do this effectively. I contend that XC specific disk brakes, like the Mini's, are no more powerful than my Old V's. I still argue that my Old V's had at least if not more power that my Mini's.....BUT only in the most IDEAL conditions that is. In anything less than Ideal riding conditions, this is where my Mini's blow, absolutely blow, away my old V's. Where my old V's would die in the rain or mud, my Mini's just remain the same. Where my old V's would ice up during winter rides, my Mini's just keep working the same. When I blow a spoke or damage rim and I couldn't use my V's, my Mini's just keep working the same.

Also, consider this....what good is power if you can't control it? I find V-brakes do not moduate power nearly as well as disks. I have much more predictable braking control....I rarely, if ever, lose braking traction since switching to disc brakes. I'm able to carry way more speed into corners now without fear of my wheels busting loose. I can scrub off speed one Joule at a time....very predictably and very confidently. I'd compare this to anti-lock brakes on a car. I'd never go back to V's...I'm a total convert...I'm a faster, better rider because of disk brakes.

Hopefully you will come to apprecate them like most do.

Good luck and keep us updated!!

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.